Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Monacor files
Monacor files
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Ugg10 is online now Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Monacor files

Anyone have a link to Monacor FRD and ZMA files ?

Specifically looking for SPH-6M, SPH-8M, SPH-175HQ, SPH-220HQ, MSH-115HQ and SPH-145HQ

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I sincerely doubt that there is one anywhere. As a last resort remains to trace these yourself.
Old 6th December 2017, 07:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, will have a go at editing another one to replicate the curve then.
Old 6th December 2017, 07:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just get a tracing program from fprawn labs and work directly on monacor units you're interested in. Click multiple times on different parts of a curve until it locks on properly. Clean the area around if this doesn't work immediately.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, will try that.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Lojzek - many thanks for the links to this, works pretty good if you cleanup the graphs in Photoshop first to isolate the frequency and impedance curves.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You're welcome, it does need cleaning up often.
Old 8th December 2017, 04:49 PM   #8
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've been meaning to get this software for ages: Monacor CAAD-4.2 Loudspeaker Design Software Solution from Monacor PS41.34

Looks to me like Monacor have a database of FRD and ZMA files available. THis makes sense if they aren't really involved in the diy market, but more for professional designers. AFAIK, no-one at diyaudio has tried this yet. But they have some very useful drivers, IMO. Like that modern little polycone that replaces the old KEF B110.

I think Wilmslow Audio stock this software too. Sometimes nobody knows the answer until someone actually tries it!
Old 8th December 2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

Monacor files
I`ve used the SP6 100Pro, 108Pro, SPH170c, SPH100c, DT300, WG300 waveguide, SPH200TC, SPH300CTC, SPM205/8. They make good quality drivers, maybe slightly overpriced but performance is very good. Several places in the UK offer them.

Below is a 2-way bookshelf using the SP6 Pro drivers, a DT300 with WG300. I will not go into further details on this one as I plan on posting it here in greater details, measurements, crossover and the plans but am really short on time and will probably do this during Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tempest bookshelf.jpg (253.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 8th December 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:47 PM   #10
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very nice, Mario. Lot to like there. But really, without the filter, you are being coy.

Monacor files-tempest-bookshelf-jpg

I am interested in Lojzek's idea of curve tracing. I frequently import these curves into that great Visaton simulation freebie Boxsim. If you have the frequency response, the impedance curve and know the diameter of the drive unit and what it is made of (and hence how well it is mechanically damped), you can frequently make a fairly good stab at a crossover that works. Almost without measurement.

Here's a couple of types of SEAS: The Art Of Sound Perfection drivers that look flat (well, maybe overdamped) and easy enough. These work with simple coil and cap crossovers. But you can do better.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is NO QUESTION that choosing drivers which are either flat or over-damped (bell-shaped FR) will make your life easier on crossover.

There is something you must know about ALL cone drivers. The cone-breakup is quite predictable. It comes in at 3kHz with 8" drivers, 5kHz with 6", and about 7kHz with 5" drivers. This is what sounds rough and bad. And must be dealt with.

If you are very clever, you can get frequency response, power response AND impedance flattish. Phase is a bit driver dependent. 8" and 5" two-ways tend to be easy. This is one of the great secrets of loudspeaker design IMO. It stems from some very theoretical mathematics. 2-Way Crossover Calculator / Designer

The circuits below are heavily dependent on impedance equalisation, which is easily calculated from the impedance curve. Bafflestep is an extra consideration. I just wall-mount and avoid THAT issue.
Attached Images
File Type: png BW3 3500Hz.PNG (18.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Jeff Bagby Filter Values.JPG (100.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by system7; 8th December 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Monacor filesHide this!Advertise here!