Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Onkens - Benefits? Design Considerations?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 02:53 AM   #1
ReDress is offline ReDress  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Onkens - Benefits? Design Considerations?

Hello Everyone - I was curious as to what your guys' thoughts were on Onken cabinets...I've tried to do a little digging on their theory, and have found only a little bit of information with regards to their design and benefits.

Some of the benefits I've seen described were that they have the capacity to function as an aperiodic style of enclosure (Due to their high ratio/shallow port design(?)), the bracing within the ports themselves brace the cabinets further - pushing cabinet resonances higher, that they (subjectively) have "tighter" bass when compared to a traditional reflex port, and that they are quite aesthetically pleasing (In my personal opinion hah).
As such, I was curious if you guys have any further comments to their benefits, or drawbacks, especially with regards as to whether or not they are worth the time to consider their implementation (when compared to a traditional reflex port)

(Side note: If anyone would be so kind to share any sort of design recipes or such as to how one would go about designing one from scratch. It would be greatly appreciated as well, thanks)

But I'll digress - much love/many thanks in advance for your guys' time and efforts in advance
Old 6th December 2017, 03:56 AM   #2
lisoformio is offline lisoformio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some of the benefits I've seen described were that they have the capacity to function as an aperiodic style of enclosure (Due to their high ratio/shallow port design(?)), the bracing within the ports themselves brace the cabinets further - pushing cabinet resonances higher, that they (subjectively) have "tighter" bass when compared to a traditional reflex port, and that they are quite aesthetically pleasing (In my personal opinion hah).
Where did you find that description?
Quote:
As such, I was curious if you guys have any further comments to their benefits, or drawbacks, especially with regards as to whether or not they are worth the time to consider their implementation (when compared to a traditional reflex port)
No benefits. It was a design around an old fashion loudspeaker.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:24 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Altec Voice of the theater worth the hassle?

There's an Excel calculator on the net somewhere, but this on-line one yields the same results IIRC: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM

Last edited by GM; 6th December 2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:47 AM   #4
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is one I really think I would like. Raal tweeter + Scanspeak woofers, pricey though:

ANANYA - Solen Electronique Inc.

Best,

Erik
Old 6th December 2017, 05:02 AM   #5
ReDress is offline ReDress  Canada
diyAudio Member

@lisoformio

I can't quite recall which sites it was that I had found those descriptions - It was from at least 4-5 different places

So, essentially speaking, beyond aesthetics - there are really no discernible advantages to an Onken configuration, when compared to a traditional reflex port?

Out of curiosity then (Not to disparage or disregard what you had said), why are there designs where the Onken approach is utilized in the modern day? For aesthetics? For a throw-back? For...?

If these designs aren't worth the time for their design considerations, it would certainly save me some time and (mental) energy to no longer see them with interest

But I'll digress - thank you for your input
Old 6th December 2017, 05:25 AM   #6
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

If you want to Google for info online for what the idea originally was for, it was first know as the "Jenson Ultraflex". For example.. Onken - Jensen Ultraflex - IP Ultra Bass - IP Ultra-Bass - Studio M
Old 6th December 2017, 05:25 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisoformio View Post
Where did you find that description?
It was in this French article among others, which also shows the vent's comb filtered mids output, 'bump up' at tuning [Fb]: Untitled Document

GM
Old 6th December 2017, 05:31 AM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is a huge Onken thread here:Reviving the Onken

An Onken has very particular design restraints.

Beware that i have an alignment that i call miniOnken for boxes i make that steal the concept of the high ratio vents along the sides (i fell in love with the look from some plans i saw in a late 1970s Audax applications booklet). They use a differing alignment and aren’t “real” Onkens. They benefit from the essentially doubled side walls, the high aspect (and long) vents add resistance to the vent (something you are traditionally advised never to do) which does tend to push them towards aperiodic and makes the box more tolerant of dynamic changes in T/S parameters. The boxes also tend towards small and the bass only goes as low as it goes — neither of which, as i understand it, are attributes of the Onken. The bass they produce thou is elegant and well behaved.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 6th December 2017, 05:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
It was in this French article among others, which also shows the vent's comb filtered mids output, 'bump up' at tuning [Fb]: Untitled Document

GM
I have to read it again because I do not remember the french people described that enclosure an aperiodic system. I remember it as a bass-reflex sistem.

Mr Koizumi founded Onken company many years ago. So Onken = Mr Koizumi designs... everything else is not Onken....

Time ago it was still available his web site. I googled looking for it but I did not find it.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Found!

???? Web Site

Onkens - Benefits? Design Considerations?Hide this!Advertise here!