Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help with speakers for newbie
Help with speakers for newbie
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 11:23 AM   #1
mazvydas1234 is offline mazvydas1234  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Default Help with speakers for newbie

Hello everybody

I am looking to build/buy some big and loud home speakers.
Currently i am sitting on a very cheap home made stereo system out of scavenged drivers, capable of 95db flat, probably around 300w per channel, with low frequency handling down to 45hz. My amp can handle 700w at 4ohms per channel cleanly.

I was thinking about upgrading my current system with some PA 350w speakers, but i am 99% certain that those amazon cheap PA speakers sound like garbage.

So now im thinking about building my own two 700w speakers at 4ohms. Goal is to be 105db loud, 32hz low frequency handling, and that mids and highs wouldnt sound worse than my current mission 733i mids. But i dont know what drivers to pick, or where to start at all. Budget is flexible, but i would want most bang for my buck, and preferably under 600$. I listen to metal, rock and sometimes electronic music. Would this dream be possible?

Neighbours arent a problem
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:45 PM   #2
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear neighbours arnt a problem.

Do you mean 105dB per watt as that is a real challenge. Or 105 dB on 700w which should be easy to achieve?

Andy
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:57 PM   #3
mazvydas1234 is offline mazvydas1234  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

105db at 700w, i know its not much, but thats the minimum. Maybe even 110db or 120db, but its important that it wouldnt cost too much, and i dont want anything that sounds straight bad.
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:59 PM   #4
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

It seems like you're a man who would prefer quantity over quality but with your given budget you probably won't get much quantity either. But if your budget is only 600 it's hard to get what you want. As you alluded to, PA speakers from Amazon are probably your best bet.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:18 PM   #5
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A system with 95dB efficiency should easily be able to give you 105dB on 700W. However you will probably struggle with your bass specification. Most reatively high efficiency speakers do not go that low in frequency.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:23 PM   #6
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

Much much much much better sounding amp.
Than any fullrange;-)
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:37 PM   #7
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiandy View Post
Most reatively high efficiency speakers do not go that low in frequency.
I think that may be a mis-characterization of bass response. High efficiency meaning tuning your freq. response to emphasize the ~1khz region, where as if you equalize your freq. response so that you have a flatter freq then you have to sacrifice the response ~1KHz. For example, if you take any regular speaker and artificially lift your 1KHz region, your bass response now relatively will be less and therefore seems like you don't have as much bass as before. But in reality, it's the same speakers.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:53 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazvydas1234 View Post
I am looking to build/buy some big and loud home speakers. Goal is to be 105db loud, 32hz low frequency handling, and that mids and highs wouldnt sound worse than my current mission 733i mids.
The easiest way to achieve this would to be to use multiple drivers of the same specification in the design (it being a two or three way) the power handling would be greater, excursion (and hence distortion) lower, and low frequency response would be better than single drivers
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:18 PM   #9
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

The OP is asking for something very reasonable and many speakers will fill these requirements. Most home speakers are around 82 - 85dB efficient at 1W/1m (after BSC) and many extend flat to 32Hz. This corresponds to 106dB @ 1m with 128 - 256 watts - well within the OP's available 700 watts and within a reasonable range of what many speakers can handle.

Now the decision is to choose a kit or design your own. A 3-way will probably be necessary to achieve your requirements, but you may be able to get away with a high performing MTM or TMM. Your $600 budget should yeild plenty of viable options.

Dan
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:21 PM   #10
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazvydas1234 View Post
105db at 700w, i know its not much, but thats the minimum. Maybe even 110db or 120db, but its important that it wouldnt cost too much, and i dont want anything that sounds straight bad.

Help with speakers for newbieHide this!Advertise here!