Help with speakers for newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody

I am looking to build/buy some big and loud home speakers.
Currently i am sitting on a very cheap home made stereo system out of scavenged drivers, capable of 95db flat, probably around 300w per channel, with low frequency handling down to 45hz. My amp can handle 700w at 4ohms per channel cleanly.

I was thinking about upgrading my current system with some PA 350w speakers, but i am 99% certain that those amazon cheap PA speakers sound like garbage.

So now im thinking about building my own two 700w speakers at 4ohms. Goal is to be 105db loud, 32hz low frequency handling, and that mids and highs wouldnt sound worse than my current mission 733i mids. But i dont know what drivers to pick, or where to start at all. Budget is flexible, but i would want most bang for my buck, and preferably under 600$. I listen to metal, rock and sometimes electronic music. Would this dream be possible?

Neighbours arent a problem :D

It seems like you're a man who would prefer quantity over quality but with your given budget you probably won't get much quantity either. But if your budget is only 600 it's hard to get what you want. As you alluded to, PA speakers from Amazon are probably your best bet.

Most reatively high efficiency speakers do not go that low in frequency.

I think that may be a mis-characterization of bass response. High efficiency meaning tuning your freq. response to emphasize the ~1khz region, where as if you equalize your freq. response so that you have a flatter freq then you have to sacrifice the response ~1KHz. For example, if you take any regular speaker and artificially lift your 1KHz region, your bass response now relatively will be less and therefore seems like you don't have as much bass as before. But in reality, it's the same speakers.

I am looking to build/buy some big and loud home speakers. Goal is to be 105db loud, 32hz low frequency handling, and that mids and highs wouldnt sound worse than my current mission 733i mids.
The easiest way to achieve this would to be to use multiple drivers of the same specification in the design (it being a two or three way) the power handling would be greater, excursion (and hence distortion) lower, and low frequency response would be better than single drivers

The OP is asking for something very reasonable and many speakers will fill these requirements. Most home speakers are around 82 - 85dB efficient at 1W/1m (after BSC) and many extend flat to 32Hz. This corresponds to 106dB @ 1m with 128 - 256 watts - well within the OP's available 700 watts and within a reasonable range of what many speakers can handle.

Now the decision is to choose a kit or design your own. A 3-way will probably be necessary to achieve your requirements, but you may be able to get away with a high performing MTM or TMM. Your $600 budget should yeild plenty of viable options.

Dan

Andy, I think we are saying the same thing in different terms. I was not implying that I consider a speaker to be 95dB if it hits it at one frequency. It should maintain this accrossthe entire stated working range hence 95dB per W at 32HZ is going to be difficult to find.

These 2 designs should meet your criteria:

Tarkus - undefinition
diVine Audio | Ansonica

but don't go louder than about 105dB before xmax is exceeded and distortion and compression start to increase, at least in the lowest frequencies.

For a more effortless speaker at higher SPL, I would think you really need to double up your drivers in some combination of TMMWW or perhaps TMMW with a larger woofer. Kind of like these:

Speaker Design Works
Statements
diVine Audio | Canaiolo
http://www.zaphaudio.com/SB12.3/

but I think all of those will exceed your budget. Might be worth it. Or maybe somebody else knows of similar designs with less expensive drivers and can chime in. I'm assuming that you aren't capable of designing your own but of course I could be wrong there.

Something like this might be a starting point eminance drivers dont sound bad, you are going to need a three way. Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm

I find that the tweeter is the most difficult part to achieve very high efficiency withas compression drivers always seem to have a very harsh sound.

Two of these in parallel might give you enough sensitivity.

Morel CAT 378 1-1/8" Soft Dome Horn Tweeter

And for a midrange

Something like a pair of these Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" Line Array Series Sealed Back Midrange Speaker

I should point out that this will require a complex crossover equalise the response.

Yes i understand the fact that just raising a singe frequency would yield 105db or even more easily, but currently i am flat till 45hz at 95db, minor dip at 160hz, and slowly increasing above ~6k, max 3db difference (tested with a profesional mic for frequency testing at my friends place), and my current system is definitely below 100$ for the speakers. So i was looking for a upgrade for my already incredibly good bang for buck system.

I enjoy metal, which only sounds right played loud, and i have alot of wattage headroom, so was thinking that some big, not so efficient speakers would be great for me.

I myself have tested alot of box designs, and really loved a three way system, with ported mids and sealed lows. So, what drivers would i need to choose that are ~ok in the quality, preferably around the same quality as i currently have, but get louder, expecially in the bass, since i can just add distortion to the mids if i want them louder, but bass is a hard stop at 95db.

Edit: gfiandy's listed drivers do seem about what i would want, but i have never designed a crossover myself, so i have no idea where to start with crossovers either.

Last edited:
I meant his budget constraints. I am not sure if those can be built for $600.

Well...

Drivers for the Tarkus are about $200 at PE.
Drivers for the Ansonica are about $364 from DIY Sound Group and Madison.

Xo parts? I'll guess here and say that they'd be below $200 for either speaker. It's pretty hard actually to beat the value of the Tarkus given the OP's goals. And I'll just say here, that if the OP actually wants to hold onto his hearing for any reasonable length of time, you don't need anything louder than 105dB. Even that is really pushing things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.