Some tweeter tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why will you test OWII over the OWI?
Any plans to do some Thiel/Accuton og good ribbon stuff?
SS9700 should be a killer, but beware of nasty breakup at 20kHz+. Apart from that, it's just great. Cannot compare to Hiquphon or Thiel in dispersion though.. None of the SS can..

Rocky,

I actually have a set of ow1's-but they're not that convenient to get to. Based on the ow2 measurement, I can almost guess how the ow1 will look-same dispersion, same nonlinear distortion, and likely slightly better linear distortion.

I have a set of C44's, but no accuton tweeters. Unless I come across a set, I don't think I'll be testing any in the near term. The c44's will come as part of a mid test later.

A ribbon test is coming in the next month or so. The problem with the ribbons is I have to make a baffle for each one.

ribbons-I've got AC g2si, R1(1rst generation) philips rt8p, BG?8(I can't recall-it's a loaner)

I have the option to choose between the standard XT19TD00 with no ferrofluid and the double magneted XT19BD01 variant with ferrofluid.
I know that you haven't tested the second one, but from your past experience which one would you take ? Some people are saying that ferrofluid kills microdetail.
The price is almost the same, btw.

Zozo

Hi Zozo,

I don't know anything about the double magnet version. It's not available here in the states.

As far as ferro vs no ferro, I'm going to be receiving some Seas 27TDC and TDFC-Very similar if not the same except for the ferrofluid. It will be interesting to see how they test out.

However, I think you have to be careful about extrapolating data. There's often a bit too much "loose" inferring. While I think that you can make some broad characterizations, say ring radiators vs domes vs ribbons, the differences are small. Look, for example, at the SS9500 vs the xt19 in regards to nonlinear distortion. The 9500 is a very good driver in this respect and probably the best of all the drivers in my tests if you had to cross at 2k. At 4-5k, the xt19 matches and becomes slightly better. However, if a different version of a ring radiator did slightly worse, now the 9500 would come out on top.

All that to say my tests are operational tests to distinguish which drivers that I own test better than the others using my particular test criteria-inferring how other drivers will perform is very iffy.

Rich,

I have some ribbons and ribbon tests will come shortly. I just finished blowing out a g2si ribbon. I have an older version R1, a philips RT8p, and some BG neo somethings (they're loaners-I can't recall which model)

mark

Mark,

I don't know why, but I have not seen any manufacturer publish distortion specs. You are the first to publish any distortion measurements whatsoever! The next item of interest is crossover distortion or more specifically inductor distortion. Does anyone have a distortion analyzer for sale cheap? I want to build a pair of short vertical arrays for use with my computer, but am hestitant to use ribbons until your measurements come in. I prefer to make informed decisions. :)

I don't know why, but I have not seen any manufacturer publish distortion specs. You are the first to publish any distortion measurements whatsoever!

I don't have a comprehensive set of data sheets, but the ones from SEAS and Dynaudio do show distortion measurements for the tweeters. Not to discourage anyone from doing those measurements- what appears on data sheets is often... fanciful. Independent verification is a great and useful thing.

I looked for a long time before I bought praxis. It's at

www.libinst.com

I had, and still have a clio system. It's a very polished system, but doesn't have quite the flexibility as a unit like praxis. Praxis isn't cheap, but it's under 1k which puts it well below alot of the other units out there.

Yes, you can probably find some used or surplus equip at pretty good prices. But the older stuff may not be as flexible and you'll be limited. I doubt you'll find pc based or pc interfaces on alot of the older stuff which would be a big problem. Praxis will do virtually any standard measurement required for speaker design and evaluation, and alot of nonstandard ones as well.

There are some software programs which do a pretty good job at distortion, like SE, but they're still not quite as slick, that I can tell.

I think the best thing you can do is first, decide what kind of distortion measurements you want to do. Then, look for stuff in your price range that meets your needs. There are a number of different ways to look at distortion and it's really not clear what's always best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.