Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul,
I'm sure you would like the ZRT 2.5. but tell us about the new location?

Budget: up to $2000 but would like to be around $1500 for drivers and crossovers
Room: current room is not ideal (suspended floor, carpeted, 18ft deep, 11ft ceilings and open on one side to the dining room) but will be moving soon so room is a non factor
Current equipment: NAD 375BEE integrated (150W x 2), MiniDSP 2x4HD, and a DIY Stereo Integrity HST18 MKii in a 4 cubic foot sealed powered by a Crown K2

KIT: The Kairos plus a 10" SB29NRX45-8 ported woofer is one of your best options.
Google: The Kairos and Continuum Three-Way

======the UN-KIT route==== The woodshop capability often sets the design direction.

Geddes: “The mains should be designed for the best possible direct field with as flat a power response as possible. Equalization of the mains could only make them worse.”

Since your audio end-goal includes powerful Stereo Integrity HST18 subwooferS, consider a full range 3-way with either two 8" woofers, or one 12" woofer per cabinet. "We live in the midrange" (P. Klipsch) and the cost($148) of a 6" Satori MR16P-4 midrange can be balanced with standard ($52) SB Acoustics SB29RDC-4 dome tweeter and either two ($92) 8" SB23NRX45-8 woofers or one 12" SB34NRX75L-6 ($230). The higher efficiency of the 6" short-coil MR16P-4 will deliver excellent details and dynamics, but this creates a challenge in finding an efficient musical woofer.

The Avalon Eidolon bevels with the 12" SB34NRX75L-6, and Audio Physic rounds with two 8" SB23NRX45-8 dramatically reduce edge diffraction.

The award winning Sony SS-AR1 using two 8" woofers on a 12.5" wide modest beveled baffle is also a good design to klone.

==== Sd vs. cone diameter===
18" 1220 cm2
15" 855 cm2
12" 530 cm2
10" 345 cm2
8" 225 cm2

Attachments

• 8 vs 12 woofs.jpg
    8 vs 12 woofs.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Sony SS AR1 Klone.jpg
    Sony SS AR1 Klone.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 490
  • EidolonKlone.JPG
    EidolonKlone.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 317
I agree with isaeagle and DiscoJones. Spirit Winds are incredible. I would pair that with Jeff's 'woofer module' cabinet, and call it a day.

The Skaaning/Audio Technology woofers are really second to very few drivers on the market, and have a LOT of Xlim and a large voice coil that virtually eliminates the power compression issues smaller VCs would likely entail.

As for the Lightning, I thought it was to be a kit as well, but the Spirit Winds are better.

For another option, my Nephila kit is also available through Meniscus. It turned a lot of higher dollar projects on their ear at MWAF 2015.

Later,
Wolf

Paul,
I'm sure you would like the ZRT 2.5. but tell us about the new location?

I guess "soon" is kind of relative. Probably in the next year, haven't found a place yet. Just don't want to make the room a big factor because it will change and I will treat the new room when I get there so as long as it's not a tiny bookshelf speaker or coffin size I think I will be fine.

My last post included thinking about your audio end-game in your new home....
There are good models on optimizing the placement of multiple woofers for home audiophile and home theater. In our home, about 80% of the time we just use the "adequate" bass from the front stereo pair, so adding a pair of Stereo woofers at the back wall of the room was our best solution -- our sofa is several feet from the rear wall. On the slides FBQ = Front Back Quarter-Inward. Hence, my suggestion for -F3~30-35Hz front stereo woofers. A ported box with 8" or 12" woofers can reach 30-35Hz. You could use a 2x4 MiniDSP unit plus second amplifier to bi-amp the front speakers TM+W, and with W-boost this will produce deep bass in modest volume sealed woofer cabinets. Just place a Stereo pair of Integrity HST18 subwooferS against the rear wall for FBQ.

Low-Frequency Optimization Using Multiple Subwoofers
TODD WELTI AND ALLAN DEVANTIER
COLOR== INNOVATION | Harman

Have you compared maintaining stereo woofers in your room, like a front/back quartal configuration, versus summed mono woofers?

1) Stereo bass down to 20Hz has been produced in low distortion, high SPL since 1982 on CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, and 5.1 movies.
2) Most people with normal hearing can identify the difference between stereo vs. mono bass. Stereo bass has phase for location.
3) At frequencies below 80Hz most people with normal hearing cannot isolate the physical location of the woofer.
-----Expert listeners can isolate location of woofers down to 60Hz by focusing on impact harmonics, port noise, upper harmonic distortion.
4) Not being able to locate the subwoofer is a good cost simplification, but summing low bass into mono degrades true stereo recordings.
5) With stereo subwoofers, any out-of-phase bass information in a true stereo (acoustic) recording is reproduced properly at full level, adding immensely to the perceived width and depth of the room in which the recording was made.

Attachments

• FBQ front back quarters.JPG
    FBQ front back quarters.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 234
  • Stereo Bass.jpg
    Stereo Bass.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 233
The Spirit Wind is looking really good so far, definitely at the high end of my budget but I definitely want something I can live with for a long time. It is also rather small and won't be difficult to fit into most rooms. Also comes as a kit which is big because I don't think I'm ready to design my own crossovers. Are there any placement considerations I need to be aware of such as minimum distance from back wall? Is this a sealed or ported design? Really haven't been able to find much info on this design.

1 meter would certainly work. Here's a post from Jeff Bagby on the Meniscus Audio forum:

"Next week I am working on a special woofer module for my SpiritWinds. However, the one using the SB29 for the Kairos will work perfectly for it, because the Kairos and the SpiritWinds are very close in sensitivity and bass extension. Both speakers you mentioned need at least a couple feet from the walls or they may begin to sound overly heavy in the upper bass / lower midrange area"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.