Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2017, 08:53 PM   #11
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
In regards to Jeff's designs, my prefrence in order: Spirit Wind, Kairos, Continuum (with a sub or 3way), Solstice. I've heard all of them numerous times as well as back to back.

The spirit winds do everything right. Crisp,detailed, and authentic. The replicate the media precisely. A sub may be needed for HT but not for most music. Much other same can be said of the Kairos with just a little less "air" on the top end. They do benefit from a sub or built as a 3way

The Continuum has become "legendary" for its signature midrange performance. The downside is that the Dayton rs28A is no longer available. Jeff is working with Meniscus on a replacement however.

The Solstice is a fine speaker and many find it quite good. It has solid well defined bass.
Chuck, I didn't have the same experience with the Kairos. It is one of my least favorite of Jeff's designs, but since I've really liked almost everything you've designed, I'm wondering if I didn't get a good sampling of them. Maybe bad rooms or tracks, but they just didn't click for me the way many of his designs have. Besides that, I agree with the rest of your list order.

Dan
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:34 AM   #12
paulys55 is offline paulys55  United States
diyAudio Member

I am looking for a speaker that will still be coasting even at higher volume levels. I don't often listen too loud but there are times when I have friends over or just want to rock out and do turn it up a little. Are the Spirit Winds up to that or should I look for a 2.5 or 3 way. On the flip side, I do want headroom but if the performance is top notch I don't mind sacrificing some SPL.
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:02 AM   #13
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

go over to the technical/modifications forum at the Klipsch community. You could make an inexpensive clone of a Klipsch Heritage Belle or La Scala, or try some other horn. There's a JWC "Mini-Punch" hybrid with 2-12" per cabinet, a short horn in front of the 12's and reflex ported rear chamber. Its roughly the size of a Klipsch Belle.

An Altec 511 horn could be used as a midhorn, cheap Selenium/JBL 250X as midhorn driver. (or K55V type could be purchased from Bob Crites) - Some Eminence 15" woofers are suitable for La Scala and Belle. Belle and La Scala could run enlarged/vented back chambers to gain some low end. DJK has covered the vented La Scala mod for many years.

Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

here's the JWC 2-12 mini-punch horn - Kapp12A should make a good driver for one.

Mini Punch DIY plans.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 3rd December 2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:43 AM   #14
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys55 View Post
I am looking for a speaker that will still be coasting even at higher volume levels. I don't often listen too loud but there are times when I have friends over or just want to rock out and do turn it up a little. Are the Spirit Winds up to that or should I look for a 2.5 or 3 way. On the flip side, I do want headroom but if the performance is top notch I don't mind sacrificing some SPL.
This is a little too subjective for me to answer for you. The Spirit Winds will get loud - too loud for sustained normal listening IMO - but at some point the woofer will bottom out or power compression wiill set in just like any other speaker. This will happen at a lower volume than a competently designed 3-way with a larger woofer.

The question becomes, what do you consider coasting and how loud is loud enough. I think once you hear the Spirit Winds your definition of coasting will change and other speakers will sound like they're struggling at much lower volumes. On the other hand, if you're looking to throw backyard parties with them, then a big ol' high efficiency system with 15" woofers and 6 cu ft cabinets will perform better.

Since you're running a sub with them, my guess is that your ears would give out well before the Spirit Winds.

Dan

Last edited by DiscoJones; 3rd December 2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJones View Post
This is a little too subjective for me to answer for you. .....
Since you're running a sub with them, my guess is that your ears would give out well before the Spirit Winds.

Dan
Yeah, definitely don't need to go that loud. The only thing that worries me about the design is the 5 degree slant on the baffle...but I will figure it out or have someone do it.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:06 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
go over to the technical/modifications forum at the Klipsch community......
Are those models usually better suited to being placed in a corner?
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:01 AM   #17
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

like many speakers, bass would be emphasized if pushed into a corner - it should be adequate for a Belle or La Scala type with the back of the cabinet near the wall. The Mini-Punch is rear vented so a similar placement say leaving as little as 6 inches of space between the cabinet and wall, OK.

here's a thread on placement of the La Scala speaker

La Scala placement (starting point) - 2-Channel Home Audio - The Klipsch Audio Community

here's an approximate sim going from one pi to 0.5 pi with a Belle - corner placement would
probably extend a bit lower as the walls are acting like a fast flare horn extension.

ask the Klipsch guys - it only takes a bit more than a 4 x8 sheet of wood to make a La Scala or Belle bass horn.
- a suitable woofer might cost $100 - $150 each.

what genre do you play most?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 3rd December 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:01 AM   #18
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have used Partsexpress.
Speaker units, that I have choosen:
All Dayton audio
RS 270P-8A 10" Woofer Z=8 Ohm R=6.8 Ohm
RS150P-8A 6" Midbass Z=Ohm R=6.7 Ohm
AMTPRO-4 Air Motion Transformer Z=4 Ohm R=3.96 Ohm

Crossover and cabinet is following.

Last edited by Keruskerfuerst; 3rd December 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Cabinet:
V (Woofer) = 70 l
V (Midrange) = 11,5 l
V (Tweeter) = 20 l
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Crossover: 24 dB / oct
at
Crossover freuquency at
250 Hz
1500 Hz

Last edited by Keruskerfuerst; 3rd December 2017 at 08:36 AM.

Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...Hide this!Advertise here!