Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Good sound in a small package
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 05:24 PM   #11
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
A DSP compressor which limits the drive signal to never exceed the mechanical limit of the driver is how they do this, something I patented a long while ago and we implemented in DSP first in a phone with a vented speaker tuned to 100Hz
Cool!

A couple of questions, if I may.
Firstly, is it possible to emulate this with, say, a Behringer DEQ2496 (it has dynamic EQ, which will boost or cut a band of parametric EQ according to signal level)?
Secondly, any idea where the diagrams went from your linked patent? I can't seem to see them on Firefox, and can't find a PDF to download, either.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 6th December 2017, 09:01 PM   #12
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
TangBand W3S-871 is a good fullrange.
Good for cheap but kinda coloured. They were one of the 1st decent small FR and gained a lot of traction before they became NLA.

dave
Old 6th December 2017, 11:08 PM   #13
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Good for cheap but kinda coloured. They were one of the 1st decent small FR and gained a lot of traction before they became NLA.

dave
First woofer tried in the little box was the W4-657 but its a dirty sounding little thing. Can't fully escape the effect of that gunshot peak even with traps etc.

The 1720 has a real "paper" sound to it (warm, not a great amount of detail), but nice for office listening and clear even when cranked up. Will cross reasonably high if using a notch.
Old 6th December 2017, 11:11 PM   #14
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Cool!

A couple of questions, if I may.
Firstly, is it possible to emulate this with, say, a Behringer DEQ2496 (it has dynamic EQ, which will boost or cut a band of parametric EQ according to signal level)?
Secondly, any idea where the diagrams went from your linked patent? I can't seem to see them on Firefox, and can't find a PDF to download, either.

Thanks,
Chris
From googling the patent #:
Patent US6201873 - Loudspeaker-dependent audio compression - Google Patents

BTW, ignore the "adaptive filter". That was an echo canceler used in this particular application but not needed for just a speaker.

Never used the 2496, sorry can't help you there. If you find its possible, please post a follow up!
Old 7th December 2017, 12:02 AM   #15
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
From googling the patent #:
Patent US6201873 - Loudspeaker-dependent audio compression - Google Patents

BTW, ignore the "adaptive filter". That was an echo canceler used in this particular application but not needed for just a speaker.

Never used the 2496, sorry can't help you there. If you find its possible, please post a follow up!
Thanks for the link. Should probably have searched that myself.

If it can work with the features offered by that unit, there are a few similar ones that would open up a lot of opportunities.

Chris
Old 7th December 2017, 01:03 AM   #16
GringoAudio is offline GringoAudio  Canada
diyAudio Member

I love my TB W4-654 as a mid range with an SDX7 and ribbon tweeters from CSS. No longer ‘small’ though!
But I do plan a 2.8 litre vented box for some 4” SB Acoustic coaxial drivers (SB12PFC25-4) from Madisound.

Good sound in a small packageHide this!Advertise here!