Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

What is "Paracross topology" xover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2017, 03:56 PM   #1
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What is "Paracross topology" xover?

I was reading a review of Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage and came across this little paragraph.
Quote:
Crossover is a non-resonant design, with an amplitude/phase response optimised for the best balance of spatial/temporal performance. This is known as ‘Paracross topology’ in Sonus faber speak, and the speaker has a crossover point at 2.5kHz. This too is derived from the big guns, although time alignment is less of an issue here.
Does anyone know what on earth is a "Paracross topology"? Do you think it's some kind of BS? Do you think it may be a design by the marketing department and the engineers were responsible for final soldering?

Sonus faber Guarneri Homage Tradition stand-mount loudspeaker | Hi-Fi+
Old 29th November 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

I have no idea of what Sonus Faber has decided Paracross means, but it sure looks like it's just a combination of PARAlell and CROSSover and, therefore, marketing speak.
Paul
Old 30th November 2017, 06:43 AM   #3
shc is offline shc  United States
diyAudio Member

Apparently an attempt to combine the crossover characteristics of low-order filters with the (tweeter) driver protection of high-order filters: the filter slopes are initially gradual and then steeper once the response has dropped sufficiently.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Didnt Jim Thiel do something like this?
Old 30th November 2017, 10:04 AM   #5
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

They mention progressive slope architecture but I can’t say if they mean that the progressive slope design is purely electrically implemented or it is the result of electrical x-over filter plus the inherent acoustic filtering of the driver(s)
Guarneri evolution

I tend to think it is the second (so that would be a marketing exaggeration), as Sonus Faber in the past was for very simple x-overs (6dB/oct allover or 6dB/oct for the woofer, 12dB/oct for the tweeter)

George
Attached Images
File Type: png sonus.PNG (47.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 30th November 2017, 10:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

George

>Edit: Scott, we've crossposted
Attached Images
File Type: png sonus2.PNG (166.4 KB, 432 views)
Old 30th November 2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's just a marketing term. No reflection, they're a business & this is the way of the world we're currently living in, like it or not.

Be that as it may, without them being specific, which for obvious reasons they won't be, it could be almost anything. From the above, I'd suspect they're simply referring to using a low order filter to create an initial rolloff, which then increases through the mechanical rolloff of the drivers, as is ultimately the case with all moving coil driver based loudspeakers. Either way, I wouldn't get excited -there is nothing new in passive crossovers, hasn't been for decades, and can't be in the future.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 30th November 2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:34 PM   #8
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

I guess two first order crossovers (possibly using some impedance correction as well) with inverted tweeter and pole frequencies "pulled apart". The Dynaudio Aries used something like that for instance but with an addtional allpass.
It is also possible that they use a series crossover - which they did in its simplest form in older small two-ways (tweeter and woofer inseries and just a coil across the tweeter).

Regards

Charles
Old 30th November 2017, 04:01 PM   #9
shc is offline shc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

George

>Edit: Scott, we've crossposted
In that instance they appear to be using a normal filter for the woofer and an elliptic filter for the tweeter to better attenuate low-frequency content. I've also seen this in some KEF designs.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

The slopes published for the Extrema don’t seem too different, yet see how simple the cross-over is. Their designer is very good in making cross-overs that match with the specific drivers.
Sonus Faber Extrema loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

George
Attached Images
File Type: png sonus extrema.PNG (381.1 KB, 367 views)

What is "Paracross topology" xover?Hide this!Advertise here!