bms driver suitability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am wanting to purchase a bms driver, probably the 4550. The manufacturer's stated sensitivity is 114db@1w/1m. Is this accurate.

I just purchased some Pyle drivers which also stated 114 db, but when i tried them out they were nowhere near, all the other stated Pyle specs were wrong and exaggarted as well.

What do you think of the bms specs are they honest.

I am wanting the bms driver for use as a high sensitivity tweeter, using a 2uf capacitor in series to fliter out the lows. It looks from the frequency response sheet that the response of this driver drops after about 4k, so is this the tweeter thing a bad idea, would i get 114db at 5k and above

Well if you look at the datasheet, you'll see that the response drops to 105 dB at the upper octave. What horn are you planning to use? Sensitivity of a compression driver also depends on the horn. BMS datasheet is likely to be honest as BMS has got a good reputation.

The BMS data shows that the 4550 was measured on a constant directivity horn which is going to fall off after the mass break point @ 3khz-4khz. Constant directivity EQ is needed which will bring the eff down to more like 97-98dB...... basically bringing the whole response down to match what you see at 15khz or so. A more"traditional" horn profile (tractrix, expo, etc) will have a much narrower pattern at HF which has the effect of boosting the on axis response. That will get you much closer to the rated efficiency at the cost of a collapsing polar.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't picked a horn yet.
My idea what i am hoping is that by reducing the bandwidth the driver has to handle, treble only, the distortion will go down and the sensitivity should go up. Hopefully this may help to smooth out and improve the upper frequency response noticable from the spec sheets. Do you think this is reasonable thinking.
Will that be enough to bring the sensitivity up, there is a lot of difference between the manufacturers stated 115db and 97db

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.