Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Max SPL of a loaded box?
Max SPL of a loaded box?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2017, 02:51 PM   #1
cpc748 is offline cpc748  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Max SPL of a loaded box?

I have a question regarding max spl output of a speaker box. Let say I have a 2 way box frequency response from 37hz to 21Khz max output of 137dB.

Does that mean I'm able to get 137dB out of it given the correct amplifier at full range of play back 20hz to 20Khz or is the box rated at a certain frequency not full spectrum?

Last edited by cpc748; 14th November 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:16 PM   #2
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc748 View Post
I have a question regarding max spl output of a speaker box. Let say I have a 2 way box frequency response from 37hz to 21Khz max output of 137dB.

Does that mean I'm able to get 137dB out of it given the correct amplifier at full range of play back 20hz to 20Khz or is the box rated at a certain frequency not full spectrum?
Most manufacturers rate "Max SPL" as a peak at some frequency presumably within the pass band of the speaker within the rated power, with no power compression, that is, "cold" voice coils. The peak could be much shorter than one that would be read on a typical SPL meter.
Reducing 10 dB (or more) from the rating often gives a more "real world" rating.
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:09 AM   #3
cpc748 is offline cpc748  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Most manufacturers rate "Max SPL" as a peak at some frequency presumably within the pass band of the speaker within the rated power, with no power compression, that is, "cold" voice coils. The peak could be much shorter than one that would be read on a typical SPL meter.
Reducing 10 dB (or more) from the rating often gives a more "real world" rating.
Thank you, I kind of figured that I just needed to confirm
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:33 AM   #4
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What Art said.

Here's an article I wrote out of frustration at the industry's current state:
Spec Wars: Looking Inside Loudspeaker SPL Specifications - ProSoundWeb

Chris

Max SPL of a loaded box?Hide this!Advertise here!