Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Wharfedale Shelton XP2. A minor classic IMO.
Wharfedale Shelton XP2. A minor classic IMO.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2018, 11:03 AM   #21
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
system7: My apologies for the diversion.

I am really interested in hearing more about the Shelton crossover design. How important is the 1.5kHz notch filter in relation to this particular woofer?

Wonder how the system would sound with a lower order crossover arrangement?
There's so many ways to design a two-way of this type that I could write a very long essay. There are at least four distinct ways to do a bass filter with otherwise similar frequency responses.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

The LCR trap operates at 1.3kHz to be precise. I'm not sure it's actually doing much notching. What it does do is nicely damp the bass filter to avoid peakiness. It also damps the bass voice coil a little more than usual, which I think makes for the smooth sound.

One for the repertoire of filter techniques. You can actually get to much the same place with the more modern simple LC filter (which often needs a little shunt resistance R), used in the similar later Wharfedale Laser 90B. FWIW, the tweeter filter used there is much more like the famous old Celestion one. The tweeter was a particularly competent design which an ex-engineer here told us about a while back.

Maybe that Laser 90B is "The all too often seen filter" that Troels Gravesen has been known to rant about. It tends to bassiness and an edgy sound in the midrange in my experience. It's difficult to get everything right with only two variables to play with. The Shelton has more wiggle room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wharfedale Laser 90B Cabinet.JPG (41.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Wharfedale Laser 90B 2.JPG (99.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by system7; 12th May 2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:52 PM   #22
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your explanation Steve - the 'LCR trap' is therefore a 'contour network' which shapes the bass/midrange driver's response curve.

I have no experience of the Sheltons but I would describe the sound of the Lintons that I owned in the seventies as 'shut in'. I always wondered if this was down to the crossovers or to the drivers themselves.

I recently acquired a pair of Dentons. The drivers were in good working order so I went ahead and replaced the crossover capacitors. I was disappointed that this did not improve the rather dull and unexciting sound the Dentons produced.

Your work on the Sheltons has inspired me to have another look at the Dentons. I fancy trying them out with a simple first order network to see if that opens out the sound and helps them 'sing'. Rest assured that I don't seek accuracy from such budget speakers!

I may post details of the original Denton crossover circuit as I would value your analysis.

Wharfedale Shelton XP2. A minor classic IMO.Hide this!Advertise here!