Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Wharfedale Shelton XP2. A minor classic IMO.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2017, 10:21 PM   #11
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Ringy dingy stamped frame. Some of us consider the basket the stealth offender in standard bass-mid drivers like this. I was hoping for a slab of alloy but hey! You filter wizards can correct any flaw, right?
OK it's a cool speaker. I would be delighted with it, as I started out with AR-4x...
Old 15th November 2017, 01:43 AM   #12
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ringy-ding probably describes pressed-Steel chassis. TBH, I don't mind them.

Click the image to open in full size.

IMO, the biggest filter mistake you can apply to pressed-Steel chassis is a notch filter. You might get away with a notch with solid-Alloy chassis. Like Celestion or SEAS have a good reputation for.

Why? Because you might be stopping the cone dead, But the pressed-Steel chassis rings! The Energy will always find a way out.

It sounds HORRIBLE. My own personal preference with pressed-Steel chassis is a 4th order filter.

It must make far more sense to just ask a speaker chassis to not to even go near it's weaknesses.

You gotta laugh. There's hugely more to a good loudspeaker than mere Frequency Response. And that is assuming the whole thing can convince you that you are actually in the huge Albert Hall in London UK, or on the train between Bergen and Oslo in Norway.

Last edited by system7; 15th November 2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:04 PM   #13
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there speaker fans! Here's the promised update on my delvings into the remarkable Wharfedale Shelton XP2's crossover.

Click the image to open in full size.

It wasn't what I expected at all. But it was helpful that Wharfedale used that circuit board in loads of designs. Even three-ways. So I could find the back view and trace it. A flippin' 1.5kHz trap there. Haven't seen one of those since the glory days of KEF 8" bextrene units!

FWIW, here's Troels Gravesen's thoughts on this sort of high-efficiency thing: High Efficiency Speakers

The images speak for themselves. 12dB/octave electrically. Quite remarkable to get such steep 24dB/octave acoustically on the woofer just before the 3KHz breakup area. About 18dB/octave acoustically on the tweeter. Only thing I could criticise is the rather bumpy impedance. But a good sounding speaker.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:54 PM   #14
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

In comparison, here's a Wharfedale Dovedale 3 bass driver with a die-cast aluminium alloy chassis.

The well known benefits compared to pressed steel are greater rigidity, less resonance, accurate dimensions and open construction.

And it looks fab!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4. Bass A Z.jpg (565.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 11th May 2018, 12:44 AM   #15
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Now that's a proper Wharfedale woofer
Old 11th May 2018, 01:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The Shelton sat between the Denton and the Linton in both cost and size but wasn't quite as ubiquitous.

I owned a pair of the larger Lintons back in the day but, although resplendent in their genuine teak veneered cabinets, they ultimately lacked detail and clarity so were sold on.

Perhaps I was overly optimistic in thinking that the Lintons would be a substitute for my Wharfedale RS/12/DD full range, die-cast alloy chassis drivers in 3 cubic foot bass reflex cabinets!

And, for you cone oglers out there, here's a front view of the Dovedale 3 woofer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2. Bass A Cone.JPG (961.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 11th May 2018, 02:17 PM   #17
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Do you have the measured TS parameters of the Dovedale 3 woofer ?
Old 11th May 2018, 02:46 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

As you are no doubt aware, the Dovedale 3 woofers were engineered in the days before T/S parameters.

However, I can give you the following information:

The dc resistance is 6 ohm.
Flux density is 135,000 maxwell.
Free air resonance is 25Hz
Crossover frequency 600 - 1,500Hz.

More usefully perhaps - the response will be 3dB down at 45Hz in a 45 litre sealed cabinet.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. There's a pair for sale on a well known internet auction sight right now - 2 days to go!
Old 11th May 2018, 03:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

system7: My apologies for the diversion.

I am really interested in hearing more about the Shelton crossover design. How important is the 1.5kHz notch filter in relation to this particular woofer?

Wonder how the system would sound with a lower order crossover arrangement?

Last edited by Galu; 11th May 2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Do you have the measured TS parameters of the Dovedale 3 woofer ?
I see you posted measured T/S parameters for the Dovedale 3 woofers back in 2014 (attributed to 'cone head', 2013).

Presumably you are hoping for verification of those figures from another source.

I too would be interested in a definitive set of parameters.

Obviously the the information I have given won't be of much use to you but may be of interest to others.

Wharfedale Shelton XP2. A minor classic IMO.Hide this!Advertise here!