Modify Minimus 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of M7 die cast Aluminum speakers and have the crossovers from another pair; question: can I take the 4.7uF capacitor and 0.4mH inductor and make a true 2-way crossover by adding the cap in parallel and inductor in series to the woofer or is that going to screw things up?
Currently the crossover only filters low frequencies to the tweeter. Check pic and diagram. First pic and diagram is the original crossover; the 2nd diagram is what I am proposing.
thx

Attachments

• DSC02459.JPG
    DSC02459.JPG
    838.7 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC02459 (2).JPG
    DSC02459 (2).JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Minimus 7 7W Original X-over.jpg
    Minimus 7 7W Original X-over.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 571
  • Minimus 7 modified X-over.jpg
    Minimus 7 modified X-over.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 490
That would be an old school "textbook" crossover that does not take into account the impedance of the drivers at the crossover frequency, or their acoustic responses. PB2 has one around here somewhere...

I am new to all this modifying speaker stuff; I had just replaced the old original crossover, as it were, in my M7W's with a 2-way, not a sophisticated 1 but a better 1 nonetheless It was a difficult choice for me but I did it. I didn't want to throw away the parts fro the old one, so I went to sites to calculate C1, C2, L1 and L2 of a 2-way crossover with 8 ohm tweeter and woofer. I found that 2nd order crossovers had different names like Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley and Bessell and at 12db/octave they showed the C1=C2, L1=L2 but different values for each and different values for the frequency; I could not find 1 that gave me the C1, C2 and L1, L2 values I had after changing the frequency value. I thought maybe if the db/octave was different but I could not find a calculator for known C1=C2 and L1=L2; so I experimented and it works, there may be some difference in the woofer.

BTW what is PB2

Pete Basel. He has a crossover and circuit board example in the construction tips forum for the M7, and might direct you to a starting point for this learning curve that I am also on. Also the "crossovers without measurements" thread by AllanB in the stickies is packed with the basics.

Hi BobCat,

Of course, you can play around with anything.... but there's no guarantee you'll end up with something better. You might want to take a look at the Seas A26 kit as well as the discussions here about simulating and modifying it.

The A26 has, by design, a tweeter only crossover. Lojzek has suggested going from 1st to second order on the tweeter is a good improvement in that design.

The only way to make such radical changes reliably with speakers is to fully analyze the electronica AND acoustic outputs, and simulating changes via a tool like XSim.

I encourage you to see Troel's Graveson's site and see some of the upgrade kits he offers, and just how much goes into it.

If you are just desperate to play, I suggest you replace the cap with a Mundorf MKP of the same value. About $7, well worthwhile.

Best,

E

thx to all for the replies; I am a beginner and didn't want to waist the parts I salvaged. I did replace the M7W speakers like I said and thought i'd play with the others. I did notice some change in the M7 after I did this but my M7W new crossover did make a substantial difference. It now has the crossover below that I found on Amazon. I didn't want to buy the homemade pair on ebay or build 1 from the parts mentioned in the PZ 2.1 (crossover mod by Zilch & Pete) That would have been more $$. I just didn't want to "waist" the parts. I may eventually replace the modified M7 with the newer x-over down the line.

Attachments

• 7W new crossover (a).JPG
    7W new crossover (a).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 193
  • Minimus 7W modified X-over.jpg
    Minimus 7W modified X-over.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 177
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.