Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

room treatment - how to
room treatment - how to
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Baldin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
Hi all
I'm at the end of diy journey (like it's ever gonna end ), and as I see only thing left is to make some room treatment for better room acoustics
but have no idea where to start
what to do

my apartment is small, as you can see from the drawings...total of 43m2
basically it's living space (3,5mx6,2m) open to the kitchen and entry lobby...
with couple windows
and plain concrete walls

right now I have no carpet on the floor or any picture on the wall, it's basicly as in 3D model...

so I need some advice what to do, what to place and where, some bass traps, some diffusers, some paintings
what to read
where to start

here are some plans of my apartment, with loudspeakers in ''red''

and 3d model for better understaning of ''open space''

any advise is appreciated
thanks
If I may efer to my own treatment of a smaller narrow room:
Use a thick carpet in the middle of the speakers to reduce first reflections from floor.
Building a Home Theater and Listening Room
Use absorbing cubes in the top corners (all 4)
Use diffuers on the side walls where you have the first reflection:
DIY Diffusor | Baldin's Blog

This is what I have found to be most efficient and a minimum. You can add more diffusers to front and back wall. And then add absorption until you get your prefered sound.
For the bass, I think only real improvements can be had with multiple subs placed different and not symetrical places in the room, to excite as many standing waves as possible (and not just a few very pronounced).

my 2 cents
Old 10th November 2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

room treatment - how to
Some heavy curtains in the corners an heavy carpet do wonders.... but I can make up what your specific problem is in your room. If it is the bass, then first start moving with speakers.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:57 PM   #13
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Baldin..will do some reading...
I will not do any construction modification, like the one you did on the ceiling...

@Think...
Maybe I should first finished whole setup and take some acoustic measurment...

I know that my room have bad acoustic, but have to figure which one or more of them...
When you look at it you see that I have plain walls...

Moving loudspeakers around won't do much as I have no space for it...

So for now, before I finish bass amplifier I will try to buy some carpet and build "picture" a like "absorber"...

Just for start...

And once I make it, I will start to play around

But I have to start some place...

Ok..I agre that I should first define whats wrong with the sound and then aprouch to solve those problems...but right now I think that my setup can sound better than it does (in my room)...

I know, that right now there is a loot of guesing...
So thank you all for help...
I will get back once I put everithing to work...make some absorbers and then gat back with report

Ps..sorry for bad english...i'm on mobile phone...so
Old 10th November 2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

room treatment - how to
By just turning the speakers a little inwards, you will have less reflections of mid and highs. Meanwill the subs are not paralel to the walls anymore which probably will cause less wall reflections. Also placing the speakers little more less to a wall can make big difference.
Try putting your speakers in a 1: Phi (1,62, golden ratio) distances from the walls and ceiling and on the left and right side differently.
Depending on how low your subs play, You could try putting 1 in the left corner and 1 +/- 60 cm apart from it but to quote myself: "For finding the perfect location for your subs in smaller rooms, if prefer the crawl around and listen method after putting a sub at play at your listening position. Where it sounds good, that is a location for your sub. Often near a corner. Repeat with more subs. "
The
Old 10th November 2017, 07:35 PM   #15
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

This short wikipedia explanation of room modes and treatment is quite concise Room modes - Wikipedia You can "measure" room modes accurately enough with an on line tone generator and your ears

Last edited by scottjoplin; 10th November 2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:40 PM   #16
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

You've gone to a lot of trouble building your speakers - congratulations on finishing them - a long-term project

I see you've received your Analog Precision dsp unit - will be quite interested in your impression of the sound of it, if it's got one.
It's a pretty impressive design offering a different set of options to the Sydney based DCX unit and at about a third of the price.

I'm still struggling with a Selectronic upgraded version of the Berhinger Ultra-Pro for bass in a relatively benign room - I do dislike the sound of it's high pass output even with the better chips and considering an attempt to fit the new Burson V6 chips, but not an easy mod unfortunately

After you've got the system up and running and see what needs to be done, the combination of the A-P and room control looks very promising despite the 'difficult' room dimensions - it's a good thing you didn't opt for the big Maggie panel speakers!
Old 10th November 2017, 11:13 PM   #17
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

I had luck with cardboard tubes.

The thicker ones people use to make round concrete bases.

Sonotube is a name over here.

I found 12" across tubes, a foot apart works great for an open sound where the walls seem to disappear. Be sure to have them at ear height. Ideally all side walls and behind you.

The World's Best Photos of barreldiffuser and sound - Flickr Hive Mind

I like the way talking at a round diffuser sounds.
The scattered ones (Schroeder ?) with slats or little cubes sound add and jumbled, compared to how sound will evenly scatter away from a round thing.

If I remember, a 12" across round tube scatters somewhat starting at 550hz, and works extremely well at 2.2khz (based on the size of it).
Old 11th November 2017, 04:17 AM   #18
crazyfrog is offline crazyfrog  Canada
diyAudio Member

room treatment - how to
Default the walls

Knock to your walls all over the place . Some area or "spot" could sound "too deep" or "timbale" type. I had to work first with that problem in my room.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:54 AM   #19
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thank you all
you give me enough information what to read and think about...
I will take some time to process all that
thanks, I really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
You've gone to a lot of trouble building your speakers - congratulations on finishing them - a long-term project

I see you've received your Analog Precision dsp unit - will be quite interested in your impression of the sound of it, if it's got one.
It's a pretty impressive design offering a different set of options to the Sydney based DCX unit and at about a third of the price.

I'm still struggling with a Selectronic upgraded version of the Berhinger Ultra-Pro for bass in a relatively benign room - I do dislike the sound of it's high pass output even with the better chips and considering an attempt to fit the new Burson V6 chips, but not an easy mod unfortunately

After you've got the system up and running and see what needs to be done, the combination of the A-P and room control looks very promising despite the 'difficult' room dimensions - it's a good thing you didn't opt for the big Maggie panel speakers!
The worst part is that I was thinking to buy maggie 1.6 when I was like 20years old...luckily I didn't

Behringer DCX was my first DSP and to me it did sound nice...I still think that original version is best buy...
I even like it more than miniDSP 10x10...but

After Behringer I made some over complicated DSP based on Najda (from diyaudio forum member) with 3xAYAII - TDA1541A DAC and PassP1.7 preamplifier with dantimax relay attenuator...some hove I manage to burn Najda board, sold everything and buy this Analago Precison DSP from David

I take DSP (with es9028pro) to a friend, just to see how it sound's compered with some other DAC. Ha have AK4490 from JLsounds (with some improvements) which is really nice DAC...
I really could not tell that there was any difference in sound...could not say one is better than the other
But it was like 40minutes session so no real critical comperation...
But to me it's good as I like how his AK4490 sounds...and this DSP doesn't sound worse

Jea, I place a loot of work into loudspeakers
but it was fun
I would do it again

unfortunately as this is active system, whole DIY, if one link in cahin does not work, the whole system doesn't work...even if it's one cable...so...it can be frustrating...

But I'm getting to finish line

here are some pictures
of loudspeakers in progress, najda dsp...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAM031.jpg (757.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg HAM018.jpg (492.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg dsfsgr_zps7daf6286.jpg (33.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg sdfss_zps8c9d6c2c.jpg (35.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg wdsadsd_zps2985ebbf.jpg (40.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg josipkatalinic_zps2bba25ca.jpg (31.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg dsp3_zpsorvesiff.jpg (390.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dsp najda aya_zps7samsphw.jpg (288.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0743_zpsqwanvkto.jpg (296.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg aya dsp najda_zpsihdabntm.jpg (360.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by yoke; 12th November 2017 at 09:59 AM.

room treatment - how toHide this!Advertise here!