Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best Mid and Tweeter upgrades for resolution of detail?
Best Mid and Tweeter upgrades for resolution of detail?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2017, 08:55 PM   #1
bmwparts is offline bmwparts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best Mid and Tweeter upgrades for resolution of detail?

Hi guys, I'd like to upgrade my current 3-way active setup to resolve more detail.

Currently I'm using a 5" Vifa M13SG mid and a 1" Vifa D27TG tweeter and they're nice and easy on the ears and not really bad drivers, but I feel that they are somewhat pedestrian. Bass is filled out by a 10" Vifa M26WR that I have no issues with, I think it's a great driver.

Working with typically difficult drivers is not an issue as my crossover and EQ are realized fully within the DSP and 48db slopes are available. Every speaker driver has it's own DAC and amplifier channel after the DSP.

I would like to keep the current driver sizes I have, although I am not against going a little larger or a little smaller on the midrange. What would you suggest to really take the abilities of my system to the next level while working within these constraints?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_092454.jpg (56.8 KB, 480 views)
Old 6th November 2017, 09:13 PM   #2
bbutterfield is offline bbutterfield  United States
diyAudio Member

If you feel like your system is lacking detail, it's probably not because of the driver selection. Have you treated the room? Have you considered a speaker with controlled directivity?
Old 6th November 2017, 09:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutterfield View Post
If you feel like your system is lacking detail, it's probably not because of the driver selection. Have you treated the room? Have you considered a speaker with controlled directivity?
Hmmm, that's a fair point. Perhaps I should look for detail in a headphone setup and have my speakers for a good physical listening experience.

You think these drivers are just fine at resolving detail? They just seem so pedestrian to me. I don't have a huge frame of reference to pull from when it comes to what higher-end drivers can really do, however.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:22 PM   #4
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the crossover points?
Old 6th November 2017, 09:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Currently have them at 200/36db and 2000/36db. They can be changed instantly and to whatever is required however!
Old 6th November 2017, 09:33 PM   #6
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

I might look at a metal mid driver.

Or play with raising the woofer - mid crossover a bit say to 300-350, play with that cross point to see if mid range "clears up" a bit. Take some motion out of the mid driver.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fair enough! Perhaps a Zaph ZA14? Any preference on good metal mids?

I will also try raising the bottom crossover point, you're right that may help at higher listening levels.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
Hi guys, I'd like to upgrade my current 3-way active setup to resolve more detail.

Currently I'm using a 5" Vifa M13SG mid and a 1" Vifa D27TG tweeter and they're nice and easy on the ears and not really bad drivers, but I feel that they are somewhat pedestrian. Bass is filled out by a 10" Vifa M26WR that I have no issues with, I think it's a great driver.

Working with typically difficult drivers is not an issue as my crossover and EQ are realized fully within the DSP and 48db slopes are available. Every speaker driver has it's own DAC and amplifier channel after the DSP.

I would like to keep the current driver sizes I have, although I am not against going a little larger or a little smaller on the midrange. What would you suggest to really take the abilities of my system to the next level while working within these constraints?
If you want more detail and openness ...take the midrange and tweeter out of the box and mount them on a sub-baffle of the same width above the main box. Seal off the main box for the Vifa M26WR to work as the woofer, then invert the box to bring the woofer,midrange and tweeter closer. You now have an 'open baffle' that is a revelation over anything in a box. Give it a shot, it will cost you nothing to try it for yourself.

C.M
Old 6th November 2017, 10:26 PM   #9
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi BMW:

I have to agree with some of the inputs here. Those are some nice parts unless driven too hard. Room treatment, as well as felt on the baffle around the tweeter can help, as can better capacitors.

One thing though, when you say "pedestrian".... I'm not sure how your speaker is tuned, but a lot of "high end" designs deliberately use a rather ragged frequency response to accentuate narrow bands, along with an overall bright presentation. This gives the illusion that the speaker is more "revealing" when i fact it's just a hearing-aid.

For the midrange, perhaps try a Peerless 830xxx or FaitalPRO 5FE120. Both get routinely good reviews here.

Best,

E
Old 6th November 2017, 10:37 PM   #10
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

If you wanted to push the boat out, maybe an Accuton C158 paired with Satori Be tweet.

Best Mid and Tweeter upgrades for resolution of detail?Hide this!Advertise here!