Ekta Mk2? Beyond the Epos ES 22s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fanatics,
Having read and enjoyed a portion of the epic Giuseppe D'Appolito MTM 'Thor' thread, I hesitated more than once before registering, and hesitated again before posting this thread. My knowledge of Audio Physics extends to how to put 30 yr. old Naim connectors into their respective sockets - but I can make cabinets.
Can anyone reassure me that if I set out on an Ekta Mk11 build, there's a good chance that they will please me as much as, if not more than, my 30 yr old Epos es 22s? Are they an appropriate choice for my current amplification? i note that the DTQWTs can be built for a similar cost, but maybe they're less of a match to my system.

Naim 72 pre with Avondale Audio Audiophile 831 mod.
Avondale upgraded Hi Cap P.S.
Graham Slee Reflex M phono
Avondale Audio s100 80W(+/-)
Graham Slee Spatia speaker cables

I built the Illumina 66 floorstanders 2 years ago and they are great exceptional detail and very good bass. The great thing with TG designs is that you can change the hf resistors to suit your taste as he gives alternative values.
Just look at all the builder responses to his designs to see how much people like the designs.
One other thing is that if you pay the equivalent ready built speakers would cost about 5 times more. So the Illumina 66 would be roughly equivalent to a £ 9000 speaker in my case.

The Illuminator Ekta 18WU and 12MU drivers are a step up in terms of dynamics and transparency over the Mk I Revelator drivers. However, he uses a retro 91300 ferrofluid tweeter. I'm no fan of ferrofluid tweeters as I've had a pair dry out and die over time. Good luck finding substitute once Scan-Speak discontinues the line. The 91300 tweeter doesn't even belong to the Illuminator family.

Hi Rallen,
Sorry to be so late in replying! No I didn't. By sheer chance I was using a cd interconnect to burn in my hybrid silver wired OL Encounter tonearm. After 24 hours I decided to turn the volume up and have a listen whilst burning in continued. Lo and behold, a jaw dropping improvement in SQ from CD replay. There must have been a poor connect or else the cheap, unbranded cable that came with the 2nd hand Naim CDX was a v. poor match. I bought a better cable and forgot about speaker builds for a while! I'm going to post again for advice on choosing between Ekta, DTQWT and Faital 3W and a couple of others. Maybe that will turn up something to chew on for both of us.
Best,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.