Anyone heard an Eton Hexacone driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any feedback wd be appreciated, curious to know what their sound signature is

They've been around for years and years. The latest 'Hex' range is the Symphony 2, guessing similar to earlier types with the yellowish tint cone, made from Nomex/ kevlar images-24.jpg

I started a thread here shortly after becoming a member about a new Eton 8" woofer (8-412/C8/32 Hex Symphony II) that's suited for sealed boxes. Seems Eton are not well received here. One member thought it's due to motor design and one guy seemed to think I was silly for suggesting that $200 was reasonably priced for the 8".

I've always wanted to try the Eton line, but haven't been brave enough.

I have four symphony line 7” drivers that i have used in a few configurations. I first fell in love with the sound of Hexacone drivers through the old Adam audio speakers. Regardless what some may say about these drivers missing a copper ring in the motor or whatever... these are top of the line and state of the art drivers.

Regarding sound they sound similar in tone to accuton drivers and another with similarity are seas excel magnesium coned drivers.

Last edited:
The older ones were slammed for having elevated high-order harmonics, and overall modest non-linear distortion.

Then they started producing those little 3" magnesium midranges (which were objectivly excellent), and I suspect that a fair bit of the RD that went into those migrated to (at least some of) their newer offerings.

Speaking of mid.s - this one is *very* interesting:

Eton 3-212/C8/25 HEX Bass-Midrange

-which is the one in the pic above (in the first post).

-subjectively I've always thought those hexacone drivers had high detail while ALSO having good "tone" (..and almost impossible combination).

Thanks for the replies

Scott there's also a brand new 3" with the neo motor and phase plug. Very low Le, for what its worth
Because there are no THD files for the new range, and Eton dont reply to emails about this question, I'm relying on project measurements of the MG neo 3" and Eton's own graphs of older Hex 4" drivers. They show low 3rd order harmonics with no nasty spikes, so fingers crossed

Regardless what some may say about these drivers missing a copper ring in the motor or whatever... these are top of the line and state of the art drivers.

What you've said above is a contradiction in and of itself. They cannot be state of the art if they don't contain shorting rings within the motor. Your subjective opinion of them may be that they compare favourably with other boutique drivers, but don't say they are something that they are not.

Thanks for the replies

Scott there's also a brand new 3" with the neo motor and phase plug. Very low Le, for what its worth
Because there are no THD files for the new range, and Eton dont reply to emails about this question, I'm relying on project measurements of the MG neo 3" and Eton's own graphs of older Hex 4" drivers. They show low 3rd order harmonics with no nasty spikes, so fingers crossed

Here's a couple of pics of the 3" neo Hex with phase plug. View attachment 643244 View attachment 643245

I was just about to say, the motor of that 3" Hex looks remarkably similar to the MG neo...fingers crossed indeed!

If a motor is highly symmetrical in performance, and the gap is tight tolerance, I could see an argument against shorting rings being added, but it's hard to see how they'd not be an advantage if designed in from the get-go.

There can be cases where (for the most part) it's redundant. This is usually for drivers with low excursion and a high magnetic field strength in the gap.

The one caveat to this is the generation of return current with heavier cone/VC (high force designs) that result in exaggerated "dynamics" (..that "hard-hitting" force character). A good example of this is the subjective character in low excursion high mass 10 and 12 inch pro midranges.

Ex.

McCauley.com
: Products: Components > 6326: Overview

My opinion, with the hexacone (which nobody else has ever copied to the best of my knowledge) and the "german design", combined with the high price point, they have created a perceived value that attracts those who are attracted by such marketing methods.

Many types of very high end products (which we actually know are often not any better than cheaper products) sell better at a high price than a lower one due to perceived value, styling, marketing wank, etc....

Last edited:
My view is that there are certain sizes of each Eton series that are worth considering.
The Orchestra ribbed paper cone is a striking design, offering a flat response in the smaller sizes.
The Symphony neo 3" is almost in a niche of its own with quite a few reasons to like it. The cone material I think is a nomex/ kevlar 'sandwich'. Price is reasonable imo.
The Arcosia 7" is ridiculously priced tho. Accuton cell territory

The entire Arcosia line seems *way* over-priced. It's almost like they looked at Seas Excel drivers and said: "we've got to price ours more than double to affirm how much better our product is". :rolleyes:

On top of that I've yet to hear a magnesium-based driver I've liked (..which always sound over-damped to me, be it a tweeter or a woofer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.