Proac Tablette 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2004, 09:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Proac Tablette 50

I'm a newbie considering building some Proac Tablette 50s. I'm having problems finding the SEAS P14RCY/P drivers, all I can find are P14RCY. Is it possible just to substitute these? How would these compare to my B&W601's?

Mike
Old 1st April 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

JMO but a smaller speaker is going to have a hard time against
the B&W601's (you don't say which version) as will any built
loudspeaker unless it has a properly designed crossover, serious
attention paid to the cabinet and high quality units fitted.

A high quality miniature stand mounter could compete with
the 601's if a subwoofer is involved, even so maximum levels
would be lower, due to the miniatures sensitivity.

sreten.
Old 1st April 2004, 10:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

The 601's are series 2.

I'm just looking for a 'cheapish' DIY standmount project that has been tried and tested. There are plenty of floorstander project around but I can't find much in the way of smaller speakers

Surely the Proacs would be a step up from a pair of 200 B&W's?

Mike
Old 1st April 2004, 11:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://audioclone.free.fr/
Old 1st April 2004, 11:18 AM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'd expect the real ProAc's to be, but I wouldn't
expect a very basic clone to be that good.

try this :

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/HATT-III.html

Personally I'd build the cabinet somewhat differently,
more like the ProAc with thinner, better damped walls.

If your interested I'll post some details.

or this :

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/DD8-MkII.html

sreten.
Old 1st April 2004, 11:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, thats the site where i got the details from but I can't find the P14RCY/P for sale anywhere!

Can anybody suggest any alernative bookshelf speaker projects that will improve on my 601s2's?

Mike
Old 1st April 2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,
I replaces my 601s2 with a pair of IPL A2mk4 from IPL .
ALthough designed as a floorstander (and this is how I eventually built them) I chatted with Ivan about building them as a (sealed) bookshelf and he seemed to think it would be fine, with perhaps a slight tweak of removing a couple of turns from the main inductor in the x-o. I also considered trying a bookshelf TL with these drivers (look for KLS5 linked from t-linespeakers.org) but finally decided to go with the floorstander, for now anyway. The A2 are an improvement in the midrange as the harshness I noticed from the B&W was gone, but I remember reading in a thread here that someone had redesigned the x-o in his 602s2 and improved this aspect by including a zobel on the mid-bass - might be worth a try first (try on-site searching for B&W 602).
Ian
Old 1st April 2004, 01:02 PM   #8
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

You may build a pair of bookshelf speakers based on a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter, but like your 601S2 better?

In terms of size, the Shamrock Audio SE-1 would compete with larger 602. I have not heard it, but it is perhaps one of the better designs out there using those well regarded Vifa drivers.

I understand Dennis Murphy is well like in DIY circles for his XO work, and has a XO design for the same drivers. The details are not up on his website since they're still preliminary. Perhaps email him?

However, I'd be willing to bet that the DD8-MkII that sreten suggested will be better than the 601S2, considering the good quality (but reasonably priced) aluminium drivers from Seas, careful crossover design and good cabinets. If I wanted a "standard" sized bookshelf speaker this is what I'd build.
Old 2nd April 2004, 09:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I've got some thinking to do.

Mike
Old 2nd April 2004, 09:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Do the B&W's have some kind of magic dust inside or something?
I cant possibly see how a well designed DIY attempt is going to sound anyworse then a BUDGET hifi speaker. I know B&W are one of the better manufactures out there and keep value for money rather large as they make everything themselves so thus can spend a bit more on drive units, but to me there is only so much you can do with 200 and thats after profits.

Sreten is your comment refering to someone designing a speaker of their own and not doing a competant job? thus the drivers are not used to their full potential? Or do the B&W's have driver quality that can rival a good quality seas unit?

Hide this!Advertise here!