Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

My bluetooth speaker project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2017, 12:37 PM   #1
ZipSnipe is offline ZipSnipe  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My bluetooth speaker project

Well here is some pics of my portable lion battery powered bluetooth line array speaker. I was told by someone that this will not work as configured . But I am determined to make it work.
Still waiting on the 2 inch chinese speakers to come. I was originally going to keep cost under $100 but I am now at $150. And if I don't like the sound of the 2 inch speakers I will splurge and buy some Faitals or Daytons(don't know why I didn't in the first place. The 2 incher's will of course be housed in the top part and if you look to the left side of the speaker I will experiment with several caps to filter out unwanted bass. I will also add a second 4.2 bluetooth receiver so it will have total of two receivers. This speaker will be a combo mini PA system and bluetooth speaker. Made for outside listening and coated with 6 layers of truck bedliner. More pics to come as stuff arrives

PS Have a question for you guys, Polyfil or foam? I have 3/8 polyfoam and I have a bag of poly fil, what would be better to line the inside?
Attached Images
File Type: png Bluetooth.png (287.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg bluetooth2.jpg (76.4 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by ZipSnipe; 22nd October 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

uuummm, the 2 inch speakers arrived and ran into my first problem. The speakers are fine but the little speaker grills I bought are not. They are just slighty off sized but enough to mess me up. Also the small 1/2 screws I bought are not small enough. I will probably just buy a new drill bit that matches the screws I have. As for the grill, I am thinking about leaving the flange off and gluing the grill screen directly to the speaker, this does not look bad except the speaker metal is zinc, probably the most hideous metal color there is not to mention how easy it rusts. So I will probaly mask off all six lil speakers and give them several coats of Rustoleum
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Some progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7FFD8048-1917-4D40-93A7-56614250B23A.jpg (686.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 918D8CA3-E23E-4D86-9771-70631932C93C.jpg (703.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:13 PM   #4
vallickad is offline vallickad  India
diyAudio Member

Default Following avidly

Keep up the good work. This is the IN thing now. There will imitators, being the best form of flattery ( not really, nowadays, very few people have fresh ideas) and your ideas keep the scene live.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanx Vallickad, appreciate your interest. Here is a shot with all speakers mounted and tested for Ohmís with 8 on thewoofer and 6 on the two inchers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8B9D4DA0-02E4-4C32-8135-7576962DB85A.jpg (712.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 4th November 2017, 10:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with battery selection for portable speaker

Hello, I have built what I hope to be a portable bluetooth speaker. It has a total of 7 speakers in this configuration 3 for the left and 3 for the right channels wired parallel giving me just under 15 watts per side with a 4 inch woofer running under 30 watts. The amp is 50x50x100 but when it runs at 12 volts it is under 15x15x30 watts. I know it draws more than 3 amps . It will run off a wall wart no problem but the 6800maH 12 volt battery I bought shuts down if I hook it up.

Any suggestions for the smallest battery I can get to run at least 3 hours at high volume?

A link to my speaker project
Old 4th November 2017, 10:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The amp came in, hooked it up and it sounds awesome. Only problem is it runs off wallwart just fine but the 12v6800maH battery shuts down. The battery has a max of 3 amp draw so I read the specs on the amp chip and at 12volts it calls for no less than 3.5.

So now if I want it to be portable, I am going to have drop another hundred bucks for larger battery unless someone has a good source for cheap battery solution.

I do have have some Ryobi 14volt drill batteries lying around, so I may try those( the moment you visualize throwing out the Ryobi portable saw and realize you could of hacked it for this project..doh )
Old 4th November 2017, 04:17 PM   #8
cfaye is offline cfaye
diyAudio Member

What do you mean by the battery shuts down? Is the battery protection board kicking in?
Old 4th November 2017, 04:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with battery selection for portable speaker

Hello, I have built what I hope to be a portable bluetooth speaker. It has a total of 7 speakers in this configuration 3 for the left and 3 for the right channels wired parallel giving me just under 15 watts per side with a 4 inch woofer running under 30 watts. The amp is 50x50x100 but when it runs at 12 volts it is under 15x15x30 watts. I know it draws more than 3 amps . It will run off a wall wart no problem but the 6800maH 12 volt battery I bought shuts down if I hook it up.

Any suggestions for the smallest battery I can get to run at least 3 hours at high volume?

A link to my speaker project
Old 4th November 2017, 05:20 PM   #10
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Investigate Hobby Lipo battery packs. You need to buy a 'Hobby charger' to run them.
Id run your amp at higher voltages so you can get more Watt*Hrs! But you have to convert from mAH to get the true energy rating of the packs, buying batts only by mAh is deceiving. Each cell is around 4V peak (3.7 V nominal ) so a pack with 4 in series is called a '4S' pack. there are forum's that specialize in this tech. Some of these guys are building amazing stuff ( Note some DIY packs are a darnright danger to the community ) for their powered cycles inventions. You need long run times so buying high 'C' packs (c= mAH) for super high discharge rate is a waste of dollars. me? I'd Consider 24V or 2x 3s packs for economy . Buy them by weight / volume rather than some other bogus claims. Good luck!

look here Lipo Finder

Last edited by infinia; 4th November 2017 at 05:31 PM.

My bluetooth speaker projectHide this!Advertise here!