My bluetooth speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well here is some pics of my portable lion battery powered bluetooth line array speaker. I was told by someone that this will not work as configured . But I am determined to make it work.
Still waiting on the 2 inch chinese speakers to come. I was originally going to keep cost under $100 but I am now at $150. And if I don't like the sound of the 2 inch speakers I will splurge and buy some Faitals or Daytons(don't know why I didn't in the first place. The 2 incher's will of course be housed in the top part and if you look to the left side of the speaker I will experiment with several caps to filter out unwanted bass. I will also add a second 4.2 bluetooth receiver so it will have total of two receivers. This speaker will be a combo mini PA system and bluetooth speaker. Made for outside listening and coated with 6 layers of truck bedliner. More pics to come as stuff arrives

PS Have a question for you guys, Polyfil or foam? I have 3/8 polyfoam and I have a bag of poly fil, what would be better to line the inside?

Attachments

• Bluetooth.png
    Bluetooth.png
    287.4 KB · Views: 419
  • bluetooth2.jpg
    bluetooth2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
uuummm, the 2 inch speakers arrived and ran into my first problem. The speakers are fine but the little speaker grills I bought are not. They are just slighty off sized but enough to mess me up. Also the small 1/2 screws I bought are not small enough. I will probably just buy a new drill bit that matches the screws I have. As for the grill, I am thinking about leaving the flange off and gluing the grill screen directly to the speaker, this does not look bad except the speaker metal is zinc, probably the most hideous metal color there is not to mention how easy it rusts. So I will probaly mask off all six lil speakers and give them several coats of Rustoleum

Need help with battery selection for portable speaker

Hello, I have built what I hope to be a portable bluetooth speaker. It has a total of 7 speakers in this configuration 3 for the left and 3 for the right channels wired parallel giving me just under 15 watts per side with a 4 inch woofer running under 30 watts. The amp is 50x50x100 but when it runs at 12 volts it is under 15x15x30 watts. I know it draws more than 3 amps . It will run off a wall wart no problem but the 6800maH 12 volt battery I bought shuts down if I hook it up.

Any suggestions for the smallest battery I can get to run at least 3 hours at high volume?

A link to my speaker project
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/313816-bluetooth-speaker-project.html

The amp came in, hooked it up and it sounds awesome. Only problem is it runs off wallwart just fine but the 12v6800maH battery shuts down. The battery has a max of 3 amp draw so I read the specs on the amp chip and at 12volts it calls for no less than 3.5.

So now if I want it to be portable, I am going to have drop another hundred bucks for larger battery unless someone has a good source for cheap battery solution.

I do have have some Ryobi 14volt drill batteries lying around, so I may try those( the moment you visualize throwing out the Ryobi portable saw and realize you could of hacked it for this project..doh )

Need help with battery selection for portable speaker

Hello, I have built what I hope to be a portable bluetooth speaker. It has a total of 7 speakers in this configuration 3 for the left and 3 for the right channels wired parallel giving me just under 15 watts per side with a 4 inch woofer running under 30 watts. The amp is 50x50x100 but when it runs at 12 volts it is under 15x15x30 watts. I know it draws more than 3 amps . It will run off a wall wart no problem but the 6800maH 12 volt battery I bought shuts down if I hook it up.

Any suggestions for the smallest battery I can get to run at least 3 hours at high volume?

A link to my speaker project
My bluetooth speaker project

Investigate Hobby Lipo battery packs. You need to buy a 'Hobby charger' to run them.
Id run your amp at higher voltages so you can get more Watt*Hrs! But you have to convert from mAH to get the true energy rating of the packs, buying batts only by mAh is deceiving. Each cell is around 4V peak (3.7 V nominal ) so a pack with 4 in series is called a '4S' pack. there are forum's that specialize in this tech. Some of these guys are building amazing stuff ( Note some DIY packs are a darnright danger to the community ) for their powered cycles inventions. You need long run times so buying high 'C' packs (c= mAH) for super high discharge rate is a waste of dollars. me? I'd Consider 24V or 2x 3s packs for economy . Buy them by weight / volume rather than some other bogus claims. Good luck!

look here Lipo Finder

Last edited:
Yes it shuts down upon turning on the amp. Like I said it runs fine off the wall wart. The specs on the amp call for no less than 12volts 3.5 amps input voltage. The specs on the battery are 12v 3 amps. The battery seemed quite light from the get go, I was suspicious it would power it at all.

Sounds like the protection board is kicking in. I bet that is also probably a 3s batter. So 12v when newly charged, but really only a 10.8v battery in use. You will probably have more luck with your 4s Makita pack. Even better would be a 5s for 18v tools. They provide a lot of amps and it is easy to find legitimate 5ah packs.

Well I am looking at these sla batteries, had I thought about the battery situation a lil more before I put my front woofer plate on(wood glued), the batteries would not be that big of a deal . The only batteries that will fit are too underpowered. And the batteries I need are a just too big. The drill batteries will only run it for about 15 to 30 minutes ,maybe an hour at half volume. So maybe I will pry the front plate off so I can get a bigger battery up inside the woofer enclosure.

Or....maybe just leave it as a wall wart speaker :-(

7AH SLA is only rated for long term current draw @ low current ~C/20. Pulling 3A from will give you about 1/4 of its AH & drawing it down any longer than that decreases avail battery cycles E.g lifetime. so this path leads to bigger, heavier, and less run time than a 18V 2AH tool battery. If you really want to run off of batteries use low volume Spl's, or higher efficiency amp and speakers. Do a search for 'Boominator' for solutions..

I know all about hobby batteries
Rather than dismissing my suggestions, tell us why this wont work. AFAIK this is the most compact battery w/ good cheap chargers, all avail. off-the-shelf.

Last edited:
Rather than dismissing my suggestions, tell us why this wont work. AFAIK this is the most compact battery w/ good cheap chargers, all avail. off-the-shelf.

The problem with lipo's would be the maH rating, most only go up to 5500maH and I really need 15 to 40 aH . Unless I am wrong and lipo's maH rating is different than other batteries? I mean I guess I can try out a lipo I do have a 4s 4200maH lipo from my large drone I could try

Ok test was great, ran the speaker at 90% volume for 30 minutes and only dropped .4 volts on my 4s 4500maH 14.8 volt lipo which means I could safely run it 2 1/2 hours at 90% volume if needed.

This is great because, now I can buy batteries for this and still use them on my drone of needed !!!

Ok test was great, ran the speaker at 90% volume for 30 minutes and only dropped .4 volts on my 4s 4500maH 14.8 volt lipo which means I could safely run it 2 1/2 hours at 90% volume if needed.

This is great because, now I can buy batteries for this and still use them on my drone of needed !!!
Do some more current draw measurements. Play with the volume and find a sweet spot for low power dissipation. Your reported 3A is plainly stupidly high for any reasonable battery packs. You would be lucky to get 45 minutes w/o going in to early cell death territory. I doubt you can estimate run time from looking at voltage drop. Only if you have the data and done several discharge curves from actual empirical tests. I have a feeling the Lipo packs are aggressively optimistic their ratings compared to top tier 18650 cells.
OR just find the weakest cell under load and monitor it with a cheap DMM done...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.