cabinet making skills - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2002, 02:43 PM   #1
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default cabinet making skills

I am a newcomer to diy speaker building and was wondering what cabinet making skills were required . Or can you get by screwing 6 pieces of the correct size mdf and glueing + holes for the baffle ? The loudspeaker cookbook seems to be only on designing speakers, crossovers, enclosure sizes etc. Isn't it better to copy an already proven suitable design with top quality drivers rather than risk experimenting ? I was thinking of taking a woodworking course and just building a good set of boxes for a good kit. What do you guys recommend ? Are there any guides available ?
Old 17th April 2002, 05:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can keep it simple or get as complicated as you want. I just have a 5.5" hand held circular saw, a relativly expensive carbide saw blade, inexpensive 1.75HP plunge router with a fairly spendy carbide 0.25" straight bit, drill, tape measure, 4' & 8' metal straight edges, two portable foldup saw horses to cut MDF outside, and various small clamps. Carbide is a must as steel just dulls too fast when cutting MDF. Carbide cuts through MDF like butter.

A nice table saw and the shop building to put it in would be real nice but not necessary to build butt joint glue & screw boxes.

The most important tips I have is to measure twice before every cut and always wear safety glasses.

audioaficionado
Old 17th April 2002, 05:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oops I forgot to mention my indespensible Jasper router circle cutting jig.

audioaficionado
Old 17th April 2002, 12:35 PM   #4
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

is a protective face mask, air filter, necessary when cutting MDF???
Old 17th April 2002, 12:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Protect yourself.

Hello Griff, MDF is full of glues etc, and I have read that it is important to use breathing protection when working MDF.

Regards, Eric.
Old 17th April 2002, 01:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default MDF dust

Quote:
is a protective face mask, air filter, necessary when cutting MDF???
YES! And get one with replaceable cartridges, not those filter paper and elastic strap jobs as they dont seal or filter well. Should be less than $A20 at one of the large chain hardwares. Whilst you're there get a set of decent safety goggle or glasses too, maybe another $A20.

A day helping a friend cut up MDF without a mask had me coughing my guts up for a fortnight, producing a lot of ugly 'biowaste' that was worse than the worst chest cold I've ever had. Convinced me that the glue and fine timber dust are not healthy. Check the workcover websites too as they will have more definite info on this.

Don't mean to sound like an old woman, but I had a bad work accident when I was 21, that cost me a year and a half off work and much longer to fully recover. Play safe and you can do it for longer.

Cheers.
Old 17th April 2002, 03:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I cut mine outdoors. Even so, it got into every pore and any parked cars within a 50' / 15m radus. I just held my breath during cuts. When I build a workshop, dust abatement will be #1 concern on the design parameters.

audioaficionado
Old 17th April 2002, 05:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Idea - find a joinery shop in your yellow pages and ask some guys who work with MDF full time - they should tell you what you need to know or search the web for 'MDF MDS', 'MDF precautions', 'MDF safety' etc'

Now I'm holding your hand !!! Go to it.

Regards, Eric.
Old 18th April 2002, 04:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just read any of scores of how to build your own wood working shop books.

I use the outdoors because its free. I'll get around to building a shop someday when I have the money.

audioaficionado
Old 18th April 2002, 07:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

HI guys, just to tell you, I know for a fact that MDF dust is actually very carconagenic, so PLEASE PLEASE wear those masks!

Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!