3rd order sealed boxes - what's are typical losses using electrolytic caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
roughly, what are the dB losses using electrolytic caps in this position with 8 ohm nominal impedance drivers? 450uF seems a typical value. There are motor run caps available fairly cheap but even that cost a bit at 450uF. (I do realize motor run could prove cheaper over a long period of time)

also, I'm not sure how the cap interacts with a lowpass inductor

Y4AxRUr.jpg

small size motor start caps are usually electrolytic. Those blue caps in question must be electrolytic as one reviewer says they blew in less than 5 minutes on run application.

". CD60 Motor Start Capacitor are made of by the aluminium foil bar as the poles, alumina as dielectric, mushy state electrolyte and all of devices in one compact unit which can be sealed separately in aluminium case."

100uF 450V AC CD60 2 Black Wire Lead Motor Start Run Capacitor LW SZUS | eBay

a good plastic cap around 450uF would be bigger than a beer can. I have 600uF/600vdc caps and they're pretty large (and expensive)

in home use a decent non-polar connected electrolytic should last for years - whether suited subjectively ...

Last edited:
One thing I found on the HVAC forums is that 70 uf is the dividing line between run caps (lower) and start caps (higher) and that in motor applications start caps are only in the circuit for a second or two, then switched out. Polypropylene seems the norm in run caps.
I believe KEF has used big value caps in some of their sealed enclosures, among others. Those were electrolytics as I recall. Gonna have to try it out. I won't be throwing hundreds of volts at them...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.