HE DIY build, driver selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lately I've been considering playing with HE speaker designs for hifi use and looking at low power amplifiers, or possibly running one of my old SS amps in its Class A power range, 10watts / channel I believe.

In looking for drivers I came across the Eminence Beta CX and Celestion FTX series which appear to my untrained eye may work well :confused:. I'm not looking to spend too much as I'm really beginning to learn loudspeaker design.

My intent is to build a full range cabinet that hopefully gets low enough where a more standard subwoofer can take over, while trying to avoid more complex horns and single small driver speakers that tend to lack in full response.

In my research I've come across hints that some speakers while efficient do not work well on low power. :confused:

FWIW, this is my preferred way to do HE.

Ideally, the higher its compliance [Vas] the better to track subtleties, kind of like the inverse of a TT stylus with the least tracking force being preferred. Unfortunately, 'small' + high power handling rules these days, so Vas tends to be low by vintage standards.

Same with high power VCs, which are heavy and designed to handle high heating, so get a small/low enough power handling combined with a strong motor [low Qts] and the Vas spec isn't so critical.

In short, the closer you can come to a Lowther DX4's or similar specs at a budget friendly price is the goal, so scope out Fostex [Sigma series] or similar BLH drivers as I doubt there's any suitable prosound drivers.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.