Vifa country of origin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, first post here, I have some old vifa p17wj 6.5 inch drivers and d25ag tweeters, I think i purchased them around 2000 to 2001, I am trying to work out if these are made in Europe or china as I'm seeing a lot of conflicting posts about the year that vifa started manufacturing in china I've seen everything from 2000 to 2008 from memory. Are there any particular tell tale signs that may indicate country of origin?

Thanks in advance

My P13WH drivers have all shifted specs (FS from 68 to 112 Hz). All were made in Denmark. The P17WJs do not have a Made in note. The M26WRs which are still close to spec were also made in Denmark. The country of manufacture does not seem to matter regarding specs shifting with age.

changed specifications

Should have added, my drivers are about 18 years old

Firstly, did you have T/S parameter measuements for the drivers from 18 years ago to compare recent measurements too? Secondly, have you checked the measuement tool acuracy and does it now repeate measuements (what tool are you using?) on the same units? Try using a break-in poceedure on the 18 year old units (there are several available here on DIYAUDIO). Hope you can use the older drivers. ...regards, Michael

I have measurements from new and from last month. The tool has not changed. It is CLIO 4. I also repeated the new measurements with CLIO Pocket and it matches CLIO 4. Break in is not an issue. It usually accounts for a small change, not a 65% shift. There is no break in procedure that will lower FS from 112 Hz to 68 Hz, especially for a driver in use for 18 years. The P17WJs also went up about 65%, from 48 to 80 Hz.

agreed B-in small effect, however...

I have measurements from new and from last month. The tool has not changed. It is CLIO 4. I also repeated the new measurements with CLIO Pocket and it matches CLIO 4. Break in is not an issue. It usually accounts for a small change, not a 65% shift. There is no break in procedure that will lower FS from 112 Hz to 68 Hz, especially for a driver in use for 18 years. The P17WJs also went up about 65%, from 48 to 80 Hz.

Hi there: Curious that the Fs for both types of divers increased "about 65%". Since this is DIY Idexperimentwith rebreak-in. Note since I do not use "CLIO Pocket", can't comment further. I use older WT-3, which is an approximation of the T/S, rather than other systems with higher accuacy specifications. I have TB1320SA ,purched 1n1968, so I will run T/S for a check on sicnifiquent aging. ( I believe these T/B's were manufactured in Tiawan, not mainland China.) My equipment is elsewhere, so about ten days from now. regards, Michael

Although I don't have any Vifa drivers, I have some Asian mid drivers made in China and the quality is pretty good. The rubber surrounds have kept their shape quite well. As for the sound quality, well it depends on the price. On the other hands, surprisingly I have some poly cones from a old Spendor and its age has not been nice to the rubber surrounds. I guess it depends.

Hi, first post here, I have some old vifa p17wj 6.5 inch drivers and d25ag tweeters, I think i purchased them around 2000 to 2001, I am trying to work out if these are made in Europe or china as I'm seeing a lot of conflicting posts about the year that vifa started manufacturing in china I've seen everything from 2000 to 2008 from memory. Are there any particular tell tale signs that may indicate country of origin?

Thanks in advance

Those would have more than likely been made in Denmark under the DST group. Tymphany didn't take over until around mid 2000s.

They usually have a date of manufacture sticker on them with some having made in Denmark sticker.

I bought my 4 P17WJ's from Jaycar about 5 years ago , I tested one just now to see if there was any change in the resonant frequency (open air) and it measured at 55c/s. Looking at the .PDF sheet I noted the stated 'open air resonance' is supposedly 37 c/s but the printed graph on the same sheet shows a resonance of 55c/s. So what's stated and what is measured can be wide of the mark. At least the drivers I have have not seen a change yet as they are still in their boxes. On the box it states 'Made in China' and they do appear to be well made.

C.M

thanks for all the replies, I actually bought these from jaycar around 2000 as jv60 kits, i purchased 2 kits and two estra drivers and tweeters with the intention of doing a full 5.1 in my home cinema.

However due to div etc they got placed in stirage until last year when i dug it all out, i assembled one pair and ive been running them as my main stereo speakers.

Tjey seem to sound reasonable however i was planning some crossover upgrades that i have seen online for the jv 60 kits and also making better cabinets.

worst luck 2 of the drivers got slightly damaged in storage one has a slightly dented rubber surround that doesnt seem to want to come back to shape and another has a dented dust cover.

so what i was planning was either redesigning the surrounds as just a single 2 way with one woofer and tweeter as opposed to the front and centre remaing as the 2.5 mtm design

I have 10 p17wj 6,5 woofers and 5 d25 tweeters with crossovers to work with less the 2 woofers that may be compromised, I guess the dented dust cap would make very little diference especially in the rear surround position but i am concerned with the damaged rubber suround on the other woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.