Very quiet speakers (Self made)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

Today I finished building my own speakers. I plugged them in and the sound was very quiet even tho the sound bar was full.
I am new to electronics like this, but I dont know what I did wrong. I would realy apriciate any help I can get.

I have sent a picture with the tread. Remember I dont know any fancy terms or anything about doing this kind of stuff.

Thank you for reading,
Pandasty
speakers.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_091421.jpg
    IMG_20171017_091421.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 527
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm...

It depends what you after and whether you want to build your own or not.

You can get small Class D amplifiers (efficient and cool running) that even have Bluetooth capability:

Bluetooth 4.0 2*50W+100W Mini TPA3116 Class D Digital Power Amplifier Board AMP | eBay

Or you could build your own small 'Chip Amp'. I'm also guessing you have two speakers (stereo) and so need a stereo amplifier.

Have a browse through the Class D forums and also the Chip amp forums. That should get you some ideas.

a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes... it looks like you have the tip and ring of the 3.5 mm wired to the + and - of the crossover input and the ground is not connected, so your summing left right into one speaker try either insulated lead and the ground that should work better.

Hmmm...

It depends what you after and whether you want to build your own or not.

You can get small Class D amplifiers (efficient and cool running) that even have Bluetooth capability:

Bluetooth 4.0 2*50W+100W Mini TPA3116 Class D Digital Power Amplifier Board AMP | eBay

Or you could build your own small 'Chip Amp'. I'm also guessing you have two speakers (stereo) and so need a stereo amplifier.

Have a browse through the Class D forums and also the Chip amp forums. That should get you some ideas.

Is this also a good one. This one is on a Dutch website meaning it will get to me quicker.

bol.com | Skytronic Stereo Versterker met 2 Microfooningangen - 400W

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Turk 182, whilst some soundcards will drive a speaker, it will be at very low levels (I drive speakers direct of the sound card output for T/S params with my audigy II ZS) and yes if he has connected as you said, it will be even worse than if properly earthed.

The reality is he is going to need an amp of some description to get any decent levels, even if he does wire it up with tip to one chanel, ring to the other, and earth to both :)

The one exception may be the original soundblaster 16 which actually had an amp on board, but most modern soundcards will struggle to get any useful output with a real speaker, and I would hazard a guess that some may not be very happy at all ;)

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have three wires in that lead. The braid is a common ground and the other two are left and right channels.

So connecting the braid and one wire to the speaker will give one channel, and swapping just the wire for the other one will give the other channel.

Connecting the speaker across the two wires (braid floating and not connected) will give a weird signal that is the difference between the left and right channel content.

If the audio was in mono then there would be no difference between channels and so no audio would be heard in the speaker.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have to leave the other wire floating which would give you just one channel. It still will not be loud enough.

You also can't connect them together directly to sum the channels... it doesn't work like that for what are termed 'low impedance' outputs.

You need the amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.