Enclosure ‘safe?’ Size for 5.25inch driver? Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I’m very new to speaker building (I do have woodworking skills though) and need some advice building a pair of two way speakers for the purpose of watching movies on my big screen. I’m not trying to to have big theatre sound just want to sound better than the tv speakers and to to enjoy building them. I’m only going for a 2.0 stereo setup using a Topping TP60 amp.

So the speakers I will be using are an odd choice.. but they are what I have and I’m on a budget so they are what I’ll be using. Actually they were not cheap but purchased them new many years and have only tested them. They are MB Quart PVF 213 car speakers. They sound awesome in a car but I don’t know what they would be like in an enclosure, and I have no idea what is the safest way to go about it for a decent sound (I’m not an audiophile btw).

I don’t have all the parameters to calculate enclosure size but this is the info I do have:
Power handling: 50-110watts
Impedance: 4ohm
Frequency response: 52-32.000hz
Crossover frequency: 2.900hz

Tweeter: 40mm titanium
Woofer: 13cm/5.25inch polypropylene

Any advice as to what kind of enclosure might be suitable for the speakers and what kind of volume to go with?

Cheers

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's cardboard box time! Without parameters we are guessing, but car speakers are usually high-q.
We don't know how high, so try a few boxes, a quarter to a whole cubic foot. The smallest that isn't boomy, and you've got the range to build your box. Boxes, duct tape, and a knife. Sounds like a crime scene! Have fun.

Car speakers are optimized to work in a car... and since the domestic environment is very different they don't work well at home. They are optimized to work in a sealed infinite baffle enclosure, and rely on the small internal volume of the car as a boost for bass frequencies.
IMHO, if you want to use them my preferred option would be a small sealed box (5L), for a -6dB point at around 80Hz, a sub would be perfect for a full-range sound. The 10-15L vented enclosure tuned to 55Hz is a one-note bass speaker, much better a 10L box tuned to 75Hz, it is flat from 75Hz to 150Hz and some 3dB louder than 350Hz, that could act as a partial baffle step compensation (-6dB point at 60Hz).

Ralf

Ok so I’ve looked at a few online calculators and done some research but still a little confused. I have in person saying it might be best to tune to 55hz and another saying that 75hz would be preferable. Which one is best and how do they compare?

I will probably use a 10L enclosure as I don’t eat the speakers to be large and I have found a calculator to tell me port dimensions. I’m just not sure what the ideal Hz I should be tuning to.

I now have more info regarding my drivers thanks to PeteMcK

5.25inch diameter
4 ohm
Fs 98.9
Qms 3.21
Qes 0.93
Qts 0.72
Vas 3.0
30-150watts

if you want lower bass, tune lower, if that's not important to you, tune higher....
If you tune low, you always have the option to close off the port (stuff a dead cat in it, or what ever you have lying around), and try it both ways. Closing off the port will be similar to tuning high in this case....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.