What can I do with this woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm....

Old driver (ten years). Low mass cone for size. High efficiency.

Valve two way with a large horn treble to get down to 1.5 khz ?

Box size is not going to be small,

:) sreten.

Attachments

• old.gif
    old.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 220
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
The speaker is high efficiency in the midband only.

The rolloff of a Qts = 0.5 speaker starts about 3 times it's Fs. Here, the Fs is 42. So the speaker is about 90 or 91 dB efficient. The climbing SPL throughout the midbass and midrange is not bass rolloff that will change when put into a box.

Before you begin the project, you might want to ask yourself: do I really want to build a 7 cubic foot giant box for this speaker? I mean it will work fine and all, but still.

Throwing together a 1 or 1 1/2 cubic foot box just to make use of a speaker hanging around is one thing. I guess we have all done that. But to properly construct a 200 liter box takes some doing, takes some time and even some money. Do you really want to invest all that into a box that, at the end, will have a bass cutoff of 33 Hz? And if you are going to use it as a sub, that midband high efficiency doesn't get used anyway, in fact it will be an obstacle for your crossover.

If you are determined to make use of this woofer, by all means go ahead. If you think the end product will justify the size and effort put into making a large box, well, you might wish to reconsider.

If its not apparent I agree with KC,

its not suited to subwoofer duty, nor was it ever intended to.

With a 200L (7.3 cuft) box you can do far better, especially
in terms of maximum output levels for the same efficiency.

Its suited for a sealed high efficiency two / three way.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.