Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Spendor s100
Spendor s100
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Vrystaat is offline Vrystaat  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Spendor s100

Gooday all.
I need some advice on a pair of speakers that I intend to buy. They are Spendor S100's. I have read good stuff on the net, so I suppose they must be good. They will supposedly sound completely different from the AR 66Bx sealed monitors that I currently use. They first came out about in 1990. Does somebody perhaps have a diagram of the crossover, maybe there are electrolytic caps that needs to be replaced. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:33 AM   #2
Salectric is offline Salectric  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought Spendor SP100s new in 2001 and used them as my main speakers until a few months ago, nearly 17 years. The SP100 was an updated version of the S100 but supposedly there were only very minor differences, so hopefully my comments will have some value. My comments and suggestions:

1. If your Spendors are unmodified and have the original drivers, they are excellent speakers that can easily hold their own in today's market. They deserve to be used with the very best sounding components.

2. For best sound, you must use good stands. I tried Sound Anchor and Skylan stands and the Sound Anchors were the best in my opinion. I also tried several homemade stands made from wood and the SA steel stands always came out in top. The spikes on the bottom are a little inconvenient but they are important for best sound.

3. Spendor recommends bi-wiring or tri-wiring. I tried both but preferred the sound with a single high quality speaker cable attached to the midrange binding posts with quality jumper cables to the other binding posts.

4. Spendor recommends amps with 100 watts or more. I found they worked really well with medium power tube amps in the 25 to 50 watt range. Of the dozen or so amps I tried, the one I liked least was the most powerful, a Classe CA300.

5. Assuming your S100 has the original crossover components, I strongly recommend that you leave it alone. Spendor's crossover is very well matched to the drivers and cabinet. You will very likely mess up the tonal balance if you replace any of the crossover caps or other components.
Old 15th October 2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Bill Brown is offline Bill Brown  United States
diyAudio Member

Salectric gave great advice. They are wonderful speakers, perhaps all you will ever need. I had a similar long relationship with a pair of SP1/2s.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:43 AM   #4
spendormania is offline spendormania  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan.

Just believe in Saletrics advice and everything will be good. Spendor speakers are developed to the end - there's no need to "upgrade" the crossover or something else. The only thing you have to do is to put them in a reasonable position and have fun!
Old 16th October 2017, 02:33 PM   #5
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Spendor s100
But don't think that finding best placement is easy, or quick, even with experience. So keep fiddling every now and then, esp with problem recordings. That's how we learn. Have fun.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Vrystaat is offline Vrystaat  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks guy's, much appreciated !!

Spendor s100Hide this!Advertise here!