FAST /WAW speaker design questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well true that WAWs (aka FASTs) usually find their home in the fullrange forum, this is the multiway forum :)

Technically a fullrange would have 10 octave capability, none do (althou some modern ones legitimitely do 9 octaves) so a better term than Full Range is Wide Range. So if we are working to lose 1 acronym considered to be weak, why not 2?

dave

there are more important things than acronyms, but I'm going to be a hold-out, there will be no widebanders for me !, those beasties are for mids duties in 3-ways. No, Full Range with Woofer, or just call it a 2-way. Who started this nonesense, was it that Scottjoplin guy? we gotta have words :D

Words matter fo' sho' - and I can't remember exactly when the "FAST" acronym was first hoisted upon us, or who was responsible, but I think that scottj has been actively campaigning for its retiring, as well as TLAs in general . ;)

Yes, there are more important things to get all snarky / anal retentive about, but whatever you want to call this particular subset of 2-ways, they can be a viable option.

I've built a few pair myself - included the rather challenging "Facet" that Dave mentioned. As excellent a performer as the A12PW is - particularly 2 per side as seen in the wide baffled Alpair MTMs - there are lots of less costly candidates for mid-woofers for operating up to the 250-400Hz range. IIRC, most of our builds have settled in around the mid 300s. For me, the mid-tweeter is the more important driver in determining overall performance, and let's face it, many of us will have our favorite "flavor".

I recently completed a WAW or FAST type build.

I used the bamboo 5 inch driver from Tang Band as the wide ranger. Built into the recommended 0.2 foot sealed box.

I used Creative Sound Solutions 7 inch woofers for the bass. Those I built into ported 0.75 foot boxes (tuned to 30Hz).

I use a pro Xover (DBX 3 way) to split the frequencies between the 2 drivers. I have tried everything between 100Hz and 350Hz. I like the sound best at 250-300Hz.

I have two 2 channel amps, so each driver is actively driven. I stack the small sealed boxes on top of the woofer boxes. I did not want to build 1 enclosure with both drivers in it - I have a history of changing things around, and that would limit how I could try different things out in the future.

Good luck with the project!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe the Nescio.

nicely executed ½ wavelength midTL.

file.php

I note the 2009 date… with the new A5.2 it should be even better. Trio 8 was a capable woofer. XO 4th order LR @300 Hz.

dave

"There is no such thing as "speed" in speakers."

I don't necessarily subscribe to the fast bass vs slow bass language that is used all too often. However, I have run a function generator into two different woofers, one being a heavy cone, low FS subwoofer driver and the other being a light cone higher FS midwoofer driver. At the same frequency (and only that one frequency) and the same volume output, the two woofers sound different. It seems that the heavy cone woofer has a damping(?) effect on the higher frequencies (in the hundreds of hz).

I don't know what you call this, but there is a noticeable difference, and I prefer the lighter cone for reproducing the higher frequencies. For this reason, I would think that midwoofers would be best for midbass, and the subwoofer driver best for the low frequencies.

Retsel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.