Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kef Reference Model Three Schematic
Kef Reference Model Three Schematic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 05:34 PM   #1
gavmak is offline gavmak  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Kef Reference Model Three Schematic

I am looking to do a complete crossover rebuild for my late 90s Model Three.
Was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can obtain schematics with component values. I want to build a fresh pair of x overs with poly caps, better overall parts quality using point to point ect, Then keep the originals untouched I can put back in if I ever decide to sell. The speakers are the original versions not the three two with boundary compensation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Take a shot of the crossover board and I'll draw it with the values that can be read off and the inductors should be measured anyway. You can measure these with ARTA suite software. A mutimeter, 1 kHz sine and a resistor would suffice too.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That would be great.I do have dats V2 as well as a capacitance meter to do measuring (multi meter is packed away somewhere). Wondering if I would need to remove each inductor to get an accurate reading or if I could just read direct off the boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349 resize.jpg (960.2 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350 resize.jpg (758.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351resize.jpg (755.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352resize.jpg (615.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 11th October 2017, 08:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

One inductor leg should be out of the circuit to get a reading but that might be more trouble than just desoldering both and pulling it completely straight out without hassle. Get a desoldering wick for easyness, if you already haven't got one. I'll try to work it out the next day but I can't promise.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 09:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The wires on the bottom side are making me unsure where the traces are going to. Could you straighten these out or move to the right?
Old 12th October 2017, 01:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Took a few more shots from different angles with and without flash . Hopefully this will give you a better look and more easily see small things like jumper/bypass leads ect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0741.JPG (710.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.JPG (735.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.JPG (709.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.JPG (693.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.JPG (546.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0747.JPG (583.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.JPG (651.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 12th October 2017, 05:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This is blocking my view of the traces. Thanks so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEF RM3-bottom - Copy.jpg (74.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 12th October 2017, 06:25 PM   #9
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmak View Post
Took a few more shots from different angles with and without flash . Hopefully this will give you a better look and more easily see small things like jumper/bypass leads ect...
I suppose Kef is not a believer in Mundorf Supreme caps. The high end cap industry is just a hoax.

Last edited by andy2; 12th October 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 13th October 2017, 04:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
I suppose Kef is not a believer in Mundorf Supreme caps. The high end cap industry is just a hoax.
Now days kef uses expensive poly caps but not back when these were made, I will be using a mix of poly caps and in some areas there will probably be Mundorf supremes. Can I prove and do I believe their is a difference that is quantifiable in dollars to performance improvement? Probably not. I do know that it makes me happy to know the parts I use are more than adequate. I used mundorfs step below the supremes in a pair of Q75 to rebuild the xovers and was very happy so picked up a pair of reference Kefs of the same era and figured I would see how far I could take them with the same approach.That being said is it the best value proposition probably not.

Kef Reference Model Three SchematicHide this!Advertise here!