KEF Reference Model Three Schematic

I am looking to do a complete crossover rebuild for my late 90s Model Three.
Was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can obtain schematics with component values. I want to build a fresh pair of x overs with poly caps, better overall parts quality using point to point ect, Then keep the originals untouched I can put back in if I ever decide to sell. The speakers are the original versions not the three two with boundary compensation.

Thanks in advance.

That would be great.I do have dats V2 as well as a capacitance meter to do measuring (multi meter is packed away somewhere). Wondering if I would need to remove each inductor to get an accurate reading or if I could just read direct off the boards.

Attachments

• IMG_0349 resize.jpg
    IMG_0349 resize.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0350 resize.jpg
    IMG_0350 resize.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0351resize.jpg
    IMG_0351resize.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0352resize.jpg
    IMG_0352resize.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 464
One inductor leg should be out of the circuit to get a reading but that might be more trouble than just desoldering both and pulling it completely straight out without hassle. Get a desoldering wick for easyness, if you already haven't got one. I'll try to work it out the next day but I can't promise.

Took a few more shots from different angles with and without flash . Hopefully this will give you a better look and more easily see small things like jumper/bypass leads ect...

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    546.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    709.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    735.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    710.9 KB · Views: 421
I suppose Kef is not a believer in Mundorf Supreme caps. The high end cap industry is just a hoax.
Now days kef uses expensive poly caps but not back when these were made, I will be using a mix of poly caps and in some areas there will probably be Mundorf supremes. Can I prove and do I believe their is a difference that is quantifiable in dollars to performance improvement? Probably not. I do know that it makes me happy to know the parts I use are more than adequate. I used mundorfs step below the supremes in a pair of Q75 to rebuild the xovers and was very happy so picked up a pair of reference Kefs of the same era and figured I would see how far I could take them with the same approach.That being said is it the best value proposition probably not.

Now days kef uses expensive poly caps but not back when these were made, I will be using a mix of poly caps and in some areas there will probably be Mundorf supremes. Can I prove and do I believe their is a difference that is quantifiable in dollars to performance improvement? Probably not. I do know that it makes me happy to know the parts I use are more than adequate. I used mundorfs step below the supremes in a pair of Q75 to rebuild the xovers and was very happy so picked up a pair of reference Kefs of the same era and figured I would see how far I could take them with the same approach.That being said is it the best value proposition probably not.

I was being sarcastic.

I actually believe expensive caps do make a difference. But most of the time, I am so good at optimize my xover that they don't make that much difference or not much that it matters. Also my hearing at high freq. is pretty crappy they I probably can't hear the difference anyway. The only question is if the power specs of the low end cap are good enough to handle the power.
Low end caps like those surplus sold by Madisound like who knows since you don't know their specs and they look sort of out of place on my optimized xovers. I am weird in a sense that part of the reason I like high end caps because of their looks. I believe it's more important for high end audio to look good first then sound good in that order. Products from Sonus Faber and Dynaudio is probably 80% looks + 20% sound. I once listened to a pair of Sonus Faber which to me sounds pretty good, but then I went home and listen to mine and they are not all that different (not to mention my cheap home audio gears are an order of magnitude less expensive than those paired with Sonus Faber at the demo room). But I have to admit Sonus Faber speakers are the most sensual, seductive, and killer looking than any out there. They just have that perfect proportion. I ran my hands over those speakers and I swear my girl friend was no comparison.

oh of coarse it looks to be a 5mfd cap and the mills resistor i placed in there as a replacement with a lower value to help tame a large curve in the impedance measurements. It only helped a little. The measurements weir taken with Dats 2 software and strange;ly are far from flat but match left to right pretty close.I will upload what I have as far as those measurements go if I can find the files.

Here are some of the measurements I took a while back. I will update with the inductor values when I get a chance to pull apart and measure.

Attachments

• Kef Red three left with resistor change =7ohm.pdf
    265.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Kef Red three right with resistor change =7ohm.pdf
    259.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Kef Ref three left.pdf
    259.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Kef Ref three righ.pdf
    260.4 KB · Views: 107