Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SB Acoustic ARA Kit modification
SB Acoustic ARA Kit modification
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 02:18 PM   #1
kecapmanis021 is offline kecapmanis021  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default SB Acoustic ARA Kit modification

Hi all. I'm thinking about building SB Ara 2-way kit. I'd like the speakers to sit closer to wall (space constraint) so what I plan to do is reposition the reflex tube as down-firing.

SB Acoustics :: Ara - Satori Kit

Then I'll make the cabinet as pseudo floorstanding about 85cm top to bottom, each speaker would have cabinet wall extension on left, right, and rear acting as feet.

I'd like to know what you think about this concept, pro and con, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:40 AM   #2
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just wondering why you call yourself......KecapManis = Sweet Sauce....
Old 12th October 2017, 03:56 AM   #3
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If I understand correctly that should be fine. The MW16P works well in bigger cabinets. The ARA design also uses a conservative amount of bafflestep compensation so should suit being placed closer to a wall.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

@ttan98 Back when I work as real-estate agent we used to joke about sweet talking the clients, so the idea of Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) came up when deciding for a nick.

@5th_element thanks for the idea. A quick calculation of the default cabinet schematic is 17 liters. I was told the ARA cabinet should be around 17-20 liters but couldn't verify since I don't have software to simulate speaker cabinet.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:11 AM   #5
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Normally the tweeter is positioned at ear level. A center height of 90-100cm usually satisfies seated listeners, and still offers standing listeners a good dispersion angle.

You can put the port on the outer cabinet side panels. (far left and far right sides). This will allow you to also put these speakers on a desk or table or bedroom dresser.

You will not degrade the sound if you make the cabinet tall enough to put the 2" port on the front baffle. (2" port has 1100Hz resonance, 1.5" port has 2200Hz resonance).

=============
You can later seal the ARA box for superior transients and add a woofer box as a stand, or convert your wood stand into a woofer box.
The KAIROS speaker write-up describes the why and how. A side mounted 10" woofer is discussed

The Kairos and Continuum Three-Way.pdf
Old 12th October 2017, 08:27 AM   #6
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Then I'll make the cabinet as pseudo floorstanding about 85cm top to bottom, each speaker would have cabinet wall extension on left, right, and rear acting as feet.
I'm not sure I understand correctly what you are thinking of doing.
In general, converting a stand-mounted speaker to a floorstanding version is easily accomplished in extending the baffle down and keeping the drivers in the exact position with respect to the top and lateral part of the baffle. The reason is that in this case you won't change the diffraction and baffle step effect of the speaker that should have been taken into consideration in the crossover design. If you do so then you have all the space you need for placing the reflex tube on the baffle under the woofer.
If you want to retain the original tuning while extending the baffle, you should maintain the internal volume decreasing the depth. BTW, from a quick calculation the ARA internal volume is some 16+L.
What I don't understand is what you intend with cabinet wall extension on left, right and rear. If you plan to make the baffle wider than the original, I strongly suggest not doing so, as it will alter the tonal balance of the speakers.

Ralf
Old 13th October 2017, 03:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

@Ralf. Linesource describe what I have in mind. ARA is a bookshelf format but I don't want to use metal speaker stand. So I plan to extend the cabinet on left, right, and rear panel, functioning as stand, and make the reflex tube downfiring so speakers can be placed very close to wall.

But you bring to my attention whether I want to make the left and right wall extension follow the slanted baffle, or just straight.
Old 13th October 2017, 08:40 AM   #8
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

OK, I understood what you meant. I suggest you to build it like the image attached, don't make a slanted rear as it has no practical effects, you only have to reverse calculate the depth based on the internal volume.
In this case a bottom firing port works perfectly, pay only attention that it doesn't interfere with the internal brace.

Ralf

SB Acoustic ARA Kit modification-ara-png
Attached Images
File Type: png ara.png (11.7 KB, 142 views)

SB Acoustic ARA Kit modificationHide this!Advertise here!