Dampening a must?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IME the usual white polyester damping material deadens the sound quite easily, so you shouldn't use too much.

I replaced the white stuff in my previous (DIY) speakers with soft, foamy noduled carpet underlay. The improvement in sound quality was huge. Whether you achieve the same benefits will depend on using the correct stuff, and presumably your loading type and driver(s) and x-over used, and other factors.

My current speakers are soon to receive the same treatment, as my brother has just had new carpets fitted and had loads of nice underlay spare :D

Currently, I am using several layers, only on the inside surface of the cabinet, of the more rubbery and flat underlay - this does not have the same effect.

If you do decide to try underlay, don't coat all surfaces, as this will probably take too much life away, just like using too much white foam.

Anyone else tried underlay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.