Horn Help: 2" 400-500Hz Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to utilize a 2" Radian 651BePB compression driver down to 400-500Hz. Seeing if i could get recommendations from the public on what options are out their and the availability in the US. So far I've found the following.

Fastlane Audio Eliptrac 400
Autotech Iwata 300
Autotech Seos 30
Klipsch K-402

The Autotech Seos 30 looks interesting buy i can't find one and the K-402 would be great but they are not available through Klipsch for sale. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a general suggestion, if you want to use a horn down to some frequency, say 400Hz for your case, you want the horn flair rate to be about half of that, so 200Hz. The response of the horn + driver will typically start to roll off at some frequency in between 200-400hz in this example, and the system will start to have some stored energy below ~400hz. If you use a 400hz flair rate horn, I would not expect to cross it over below 800Hz for best results.

Overview

depends what you wanna do with it:

Those capabilities make it best suited for:

-Communication devices for long distance
-Security systems
-Emergency devices
-Mass notification systems
-Systems for scattering birds from airports
-Marine applications
-Military and police communication system
-Noise cancelation systems
-High End Audio Loudspeakers

:)

I think the Inlow horn looks good. It has a slow flare and is quite long, which looks like an appropriate way to load older style* compression drivers. What is the exit angle / geometry of the Radian 651BePB?

The Inlow horn is more than double the length of the E-JMLC 300 horn, so the comment:

Pushing a 2" CP to lower levels sounds horrible.

...should be seen in that context.

This linked design looks similar to the Inlow horn, but is better in some ways: more robust + easier for someone making just one pair, since it skips the form-making step. The main downside is that fibreglass and similar materials stink and are less easy to work with.

doityourselfaudio: 140Hz Petal Horns

Me, I'm frugal & lazy, so I just got a pair of cheap ABS horns and extended them with scrap wood and lots of filler, to be a better match for my old 2" drivers.

11" x 17" ABS 2" Bolt-On Long Throw Horn 90deg x 40deg For Many 2" Exit Driver | eBay

* When the JBL 375
compression driver was designed during the fifties, it
was based on the exit geometry of the original Western
Electric 594 driver. Subsequent variations, such as the
JBL 2441, 2445, and 2450 family all maintained the
original exit geometry

See: JBL Technical Note, Volume 1, Number 21

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.