Restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, these 3520's are true sealed (infinite baffle) speakers. The rear holes don't perforate the panel, they're blind holes ;).

I would have warned you to attempt to remove the grille, as they aren't aluminium, but plastic instead. I wouldn't dare it, but I see that you managed it successfully. So it's all good. And it is a good idea also to treat the cases with filler, sand them and apply new lacquer.

I think (hope at least...) that WEGA were well aware of these grilles' acoustic properties, leaving no need for any modification. If you want them to be removable at demand, stick small pieces of Velcro strip to each corner and somewhere in the center.

Best regards!

First I saw them I was certain taht the those are alluminium grilles, it was hoping at least, but I guess that would be more expensive to produce.
The wega's where so scuffed and scratched that I had to remake the laquer too. So it will be filler , primer, 2 layers of black and 2 layers of laquer then sanding and polishing again :)
Also have in mind some internal stiffening for the pannels lateral, back and baffle to make them more neutral than are now.
The velcro is a good idea.

All the best !

Hi kay, thanks :)
I've installed the heco woofers presented some pages ago. I've changed their dust caps and make them all black :p.
I didn't expect them to sound so good after all those years I mean the tw and mids where original on them, filters as well and the woofers where from some 80's Heco's.
The voice is extremely well contured and present, hights are sweet and not at all harsch, well put in their place. The lowest end of the speaker sounds as it has a little bit lacking of bass but that is only until you give them a little more power and bass :) Than the situation is changing dramatically. Very well controlled bass and dinamics, I guess tippically for a sealed enclosure of this type.
Though I'm very pleased with the soundstage of them and controllenes I still get a little moodiness in the let's say middle low (200-600hz?) area of the sound spectrum. I didn't made speciffic measurements but I guess a lot of that is due to my room and it amplifiying those certain frequencies. But that all depends on what I listen anyways.
The internal damping is the original dense sponge one. I didn't made them any modification as bracing them or treating the interior. If any sugestion, will be more than welcomed. I guess I will try a polyfill and a natural sheep wool damping to see if there are any sonic differences.
All the best !

I see that you've replaced the somewhat brittle original 2 x 0.75 mm² speaker cables that were secured behind the back wall by a knot by a pair of more adequate posts. In this case I'd have mounted these posts using a recess plate, due to more security against accidental breakage. Yet, it's a matter of taste, of course.

Beste regards!

Yes kay, I've replaced those cables and all internal connections with 1,5mm &2,5mm wire. I thought about mounting those posts on a plate but this solution was more practical and better for isolating the box. Maybe the aestetics where better with the plate :)
Did you tried to use other filling/damping other than that stock sponge ?
Other thing I want to ask is about the filter. Does that woofer circuit resemble like a 2'nd order + zobel? I mean that 10 ohm resistor + 25Uf capacitor.
Did you notice a considerable difference on the woofer by changing the caps to polypropilene?
Thank you for all the help !

free picture hosting site

Last edited:
I didn't have any close listening to my speakers with those original electrolytics, and if I would have, I'm not sure that I'd be able to give any valuable statement on possible tonal changes ;). I was simply upset to find them in the xover networks and spontantaneously decided to replace them. Nor did I replace the original foam padding, but I might be trying somewhen.

Best regards!

Does anybody know how to "restorate" and soften an older rubber woofer sorrounding? Saw something with alcohol and wintergreen oil. Anyone tried that, or some other mothod?
I want to make those sorroundings a little softer but on the other side don't want to ruin them with some chemicals.
Regards

First of all: Why do you want to modify your speakers?
2nd: Are you really sure that the surroundings once were softer than today?
3rd: If so and in general, be aware that softeners evaporate during time and cannot be put back.
Best regards!

1-Kay, want them to lower Fs as much as it is possible.
2-Well, not sure aobut that, it may be possible that they where the same but I've seen softer on newer woofers so that's why I put in mind to try to make them a little more flexible.
3-you are right about that, I've read that people tried to soften the inside spider with acetone and other stuff and indeed it gets softened but after a while all gets as the prior state.

One thing I will try to "break" the woofers with a 20-40 Hz sweep for a while see what it happens. The thing is that theese woofers where kept for some years unplayed on the shelf and I definitely hope to get more response from them.
All the best !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.