Need help replacing midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is some info on the new phenolic tweeter I get from partsexpress

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 270-252-parts-express-specifications-46764.gif
    270-252-parts-express-specifications-46764.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 85
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh the midrange had a 2.35uF cap in series with it? That's a very low cap! The crossover frequency would be very high!

So you have replaced the "midrange" and the parallel tweeter, with a single cone tweeter. Makes sense now. You should be fine, but you should change the cap to either a bipolar one or a film one.

You would drop the value of the resistor to increase the level.

regards,

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Apologies... I thought you were keeping it 3 way and fitting a new tweeter across a new midrange.

OK then, so 2 way just needs the one cap then. The caps you use must be equal value (exactly the same type preferably) and they need to be twice the value of the value you aim to create as a BP type.

This shows how to make a 5uF bipolar from two 10uF.

Attachments

• Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 75
If this is where you have got to, I think you have done well.

650875d1513117642-help-replacing-midrange-driver-img_0488-jpg

That phenolic ring tweeter MUST have a 3.3uF capacitor in series at least, or it will blow at the merest hint of loudness. Maybe it needs loudness adjustment too, but we'll worry about that later.

If parts are hard to get, you can get little 100V 2.2uF and 1uF MKT capacitors which youi can parallel to get 3.2uF at most electronics shops. Usually small orange things about 2cm long.

Below could be MKT or MKP, but this is what they look like:
643820d1509785064-crossover-upgrade-advice-harbeth-mki-jpg

Don't know how it worked but I'd abandon the idea of replacing like for like , get a pair of sealed back domes and put in a dome mid . Cross them at around 850 Hz or 600 and 6000 Hz using say 33uf and 3.3uf for the tweeter and get an Lpad from Parts express that way you can dial it in . I'd replace the tweeter with a ribbon tweeter too. Silicon the inside if the box and use cut offs to brace the corners . Then 3/ 4 fill it with insulation or foam give her a run and listen , if needed you can deaden the side walls with bitumen backed rolls glued to dampen internal resonance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.