Need advice for a large Midbass for a HT system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I am wondering if someone can help me with the following : I need a replacement 15" woofer/ midbass for under $100 with high sensitivity

I have a high SPL HT system that's a bit complex to fully explain, but I will try.

The main LR's are 5 way 6 driver each:

highs = 3x XT25's (close to 94db spl combined) 3khz to 20kHz
Mids = B&C 6MD38's (around 95db) 400Hz to 3kHz
woofer = jbl 2035hpl 70-400Hz
Sub = Stryke 15's AV15 mk.2's 24Hz to 70Hz

The issue is the woofer.

I had the set-up running fine but had to move and sold the jbl's. Now that I have reconstituted the system, I was able to secure another used (poor) pair off ebay. On initial testing they sound fine.

However, now that they are installed in the old boxes and played on theatre levels, I get a lot of rattling sounds... I narrowed it down to one of the jbls that had a discolored cone and punched in dustcap.

I taped some aluminum tape on various places of the cone to ensure I was getting break-up of the cone causing the rattling sounds, and it was confirmed. It now plays clean till about 18vrms instead of 11vrms...

Looks like I will need to recone both 2035's. I like them, they are underrated and play very cleanly, but recone kits are close to $90... services close to $120 plus shipping so closer to $150-170 to fix each one....

I am wondering if I should just invest in some new Eminence Delta 15's... they are $89 each and ship for free rather than risk a recone and possible issues, plus save a bundle in the process.

Question: given the limited range these woofers will play at, What (below $100) 15" midbass/ woofer do you guys recommend. It needs to be fast, detailed, not boomy, and have an spl in the 95db range.

The amplifier is home grown, it can do 350w into 8 ohms and 600w into 4 ohms.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Have you already searched for a speaker repair service near your home in Indiana?

There are a few excellent "How-To-Recone" videos on uTube which might move you to risk $180 on diy recone.
-------------
Best 28 Speaker Repair in Indianapolis, Indiana with Reviews - YP.com
Best 29 Speaker Repair in Indianapolis, Indiana with Reviews - YP.com
28 results - Find 28 listings related to Speaker Repair in Indianapolis on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best ...

If you can't get the correct cone and surround...

If you can purchase a New 15" for ~$160. Look over the Peavey drivers like Peavey 1508-8 HE BWX and 1508 - 8 CU BWX which have T/S parameters for -F3 = 70Hz in a 4-5cuft SEALED box. Carbon fibers in cone. Xmax= 4.7mm. Inside+outside wound voice coil for modest Le. Good reviews. Peavey also sells a midrange 15" with Xmax=3mm and low MMs, but it requires a ported box for your 70Hz crossover. 1502 - 4 DT BW

Peavey 1508-8 HE BWX 15" Woofer Speaker Driver
Brand:peavey
|Model: 1508-8 HE BWX|Part # 294-311
4.5CUFT sealed -F3 = 70hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.