Please help with replacement speaker advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking for replacement 8" woofers for my set of Behringer 2031a active studio monitors.

I have no clue what sort of frequency response I should be looking for. It is a 2 way speaker with a 1" titanium dome tweeter. The current woofers are 4ohm 150watt rms. I have no clue what the crossover frequency is (can I determine this someway?)

I am trying to select something from The world leading producer of "high-end" crossover components, to avoid brokerage charges at the border if I order from parts express. But that doesn't exclude that website, if the speaker is only available there.

Are either of these speakers reasonable replacements, and is there any reason to prefer one of the other? Based on the pdf technical sheets, it seems like the wool cone woofer has a higher frequency response....but I have no clue if I am reading it right.

DSA215-8 - Solen Electronique Inc.

W20RC3804 - Solen Electronique Inc.

Please give any sort of guidance! Thank you.

EDIT:

I found this article that suggests the crossover point is around 1.8khz. So a subsequent question is , what sort of speaker frequency response do you want to look for to work well at being crossed over at 1.8khz? Thanks again!!

Behringer Truth B2031A Review

Last edited:
As there's likely to be rather more going on in the active amp module than simply low / high pass functions,
Behringer_Truth_B2031A_Amp.jpg

you'll want to know a bit more about the T/S parameters of the original woofers before trolling through Solen's catalog to find a "suitable" replacement.

I am looking for replacement 8" woofers for my set of Behringer 2031a active studio monitors.

Good luck finding a woofer that will bolt right in, and duplicate the sound of the original. Parts Express has the complete speaker listed on their site. I'm thinking that replacement woofers are probably going to cost almost what a whole new speaker is listed for, and that's a big "if" they're even available.

Behringer B2031A Truth Active Studio Reference Monitor Each

jeff

Good luck finding a woofer that will bolt right in, and duplicate the sound of the original. Parts Express has the complete speaker listed on their site. I'm thinking that replacement woofers are probably going to cost almost what a whole new speaker is listed for, and that's a big "if" they're even available.

Behringer B2031A Truth Active Studio Reference Monitor Each

jeff

I don't think I really need to duplicate the sound of the original. If I wanted a proper tuned, balanced, and flat monitor I would definitely go for off the shelf. I am just looking to salvage these for non critical listening, while still getting the best sound I can, without going to to much trouble.

If that's and official replacement driver, I'd definitely go for it. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find something "suitably equivalent" from Solen for the same landed price. With the loonie currently "surging" towards $.82 , they're almost affordable. At the very least, I'd give them a call, and ensure they're familiar with the appropriate commodity code for raw speaker drivers to ensure you don't get busted for duty, and also whether they can ship via USPS, to avoid the Fedex or UPS brokerage fee surprise.

Yes unfortunately that won't work. I will have to settle for something less than perfect.
Hello
This looks reasonably close for ported enclosures but might be worth buying 2
I checked, they ship up to Canadia;) BUT you might call and see if they use USPS.

MCM Audio Select 8" Carbon Fiber Die-Cast Woofer with Rubber Surround - 75W RMS | 55-3550 (553550) | MCM Audio Select

Could you disassemble and take a few measurements on the old driver, is Rdc~6-7 ohms?
If the old one is 3-4 ohms avoid it...

Last edited:
Hello
This looks reasonably close for ported enclosures but might be worth buying 2
I checked, they ship up to Canadia;) BUT you might call and see if they use USPS.

MCM Audio Select 8" Carbon Fiber Die-Cast Woofer with Rubber Surround - 75W RMS | 55-3550 (553550) | MCM Audio Select

Could you disassemble and take a few measurements on the old driver, is Rdc~6-7 ohms?
If the old one is 3-4 ohms avoid it...

Hey that looks like a reasonable deal.

I don't know what rdc is, but the stock speaker was 4 ohm. I assume that is not the measurement you are talking about though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.