DSP Crossover for MEG RL901K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The MEG RL 901K is a superb active speaker. The built-in class AB amps clearly aren't too bad given the way the speakers sound, but I can't help but wonder if the speakers would sounds even better if powered by top notch amps. I've therefore been thinking about the possibility of replacing the built-in crossover and amps with an external DSP crossover and amps of my choice.

These speakers have a cardioid response. Unlike the Kii3 this is implemented mechanically rather than via DSP settings - see here:
https://sound-link.co.uk/pdf/Controlling Low Frequences - an explanation of Cardioid.pdf

Given this I'm assuming that I wouldn't need to incorporate any DSP settings to facilitate the cardioid response and I could merely configure the DSP as though it was a non- cardioid design.

This would be my first attempt at implementing a DSP crossover from measurements and empirical data. In other words my knowledge of the subject is pretty low level. The purpose of this post is therefore to ask for advice from more experienced speaker / DSP DIYers. Specifically, are my assumptions about being able to ignore the cardioid elements of the speaker when setting up the DSP correct, or am I missing something fundamental here?

You know, you say yourself they are superb sounding. If you want to learn I strongly encourage you to start with something new, with smaller, cheaper bites with each meal.

DSP filter configuration is not trivial, there is a ton of options to use and lots to learn. Start making 1 speaker flat. :) Then add a tweeter. Learn how to make a 2-way. Got that done? Great, now try to make it time co-incident.

Best,

E

These MEGs belong to the best speakers I have heard so far. I would not tamper with their crossover and electronics. There are other specialities apart form the cardioid bass like the coax arrangement using a "dipole" midrange for instance.
If you want to learn to design DSP crossovers do it with a simpler DIY two-way arrangement.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.