thoughts on small woofer for 3-way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title says, quite keen on making some slim speakers "baffle width" would be about 5" ideally, obvious mid and tweeter are no problem, but finding small woofers suitable for taking over from 450hz is down is proving a problem.

There's no target bass frequency to reach but needless to say lower is better, I know 40hz is way out of reach but maybe -6dB at 55?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I know tang band make some small sub-woofer type drivers, has anyone here had any experience with them?

thanks

The Tangbands can do the job but would need some help. Best is to make these powered and add a boost for the lowest frequencies. And that means it would be best to separate the upper bass from lower bass (boosted). I`ve thought on using 4 x Monacor SP-100 with a Faital 4FE35 to take on. Something like a FAST but with many small woofers to make the cabinet as slim as possible. The Cheap trick speaker of Klang+Ton claims to be able to do -8db/65Hz with 89db at 2.83V. With 4 of these woofers (they`re cheap) you can do even more impressively.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Peerless 830870. Sims in an ML-TL give F10 near 35 Hz, 6 in the low 40s (note that F3 is meaningless except when you are talking filters).

Twin-830870-MLTL-FR.png

It is quite startling to hear these when the big drums kick in.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

HF response more than good enuff for a 450 Hz XO — we used a 240 Hz PLLXO (1st order).

dave

nannoo, Desktop? Stand? Floorstanding? Close listening? Small room? Normal room? How deep?

Changing your width spec to 6" dramatically increases your front mounting options.
Mounting the woofer on a longer side panel would allow a larger driver.

Tang Band W5-1138SMF 5-1/4" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker

Peerless by Tymphany 830946 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer aluminum shorting ring

Building a few to be mounted in corners of wall for a relatively small surround sound set up - hence no open space or baffle step but will have room gain issues I expect. I deliberately side stepped stating that in the OP as I'm looking more explicitly at small drivers that can hit bass notes (there is no sub)

Hence the suggestions for 5.25 simply don't work for this application...

Looks like it could be good, I'll grab a couple and check em out in mini desktop 2-ways first to get a feel for them I expect ;) have you used them? How do they compare to the other SB stuff? Have worked with there NRX series mid woofers before, they were pretty nice to work with - easy to xo and great sound, but felt a little more like extended midrange drivers than 2-way beasts IYKWIM.

Again, it's to go in the corner of two walls. Small cab, small volume, thus small driver is needed. I have a lot open to me in terms of full range or 2-way systems, but I'd like to at least look at what's possible with 3-way.

We're talking about a maximum driver size of about 4" here... currently it looks like trying some tang band micro subs in an active config and some SB12NRX25-4's for comparison.

Seas L16RN-SL (listed as 6", but no larger than others listed at 5.5")

Scanspeak 15W/8531K-00
Scanspeak 15W/8530K-01

SB Acoustics SB15NAC30-8
SB Acoustics SB15NBAC30-8
SB Acoustics SBNRXC30-8-UC

+1 for the Seas. Half the price of the SS, same size frame, more Sd, and kicks like a mule. It's not great for a 2-way because the breakup is low in frequency and propagates even lower in the HD, but is perfect for a small 3-way.

Dan

Looks like it could be good, I'll grab a couple and check em out in mini desktop 2-ways first to get a feel for them I expect ;) have you used them? How do they compare to the other SB stuff? Have worked with there NRX series mid woofers before, they were pretty nice to work with - easy to xo and great sound, but felt a little more like extended midrange drivers than 2-way beasts IYKWIM.

I just finished testing the SB13PFC25-08. Wonderful budget midwoofer. I don't have their more expensive models but I intend to. The sound reminds me of the old Scanspeak.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.