Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2004, 01:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best place to purchase Crossover ...

Where is the most cost effective place to purchase crossover components?

Are all inductors and capacitors the same, or are there specific audio qualities that are needed?
Old 30th March 2004, 04:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I purchase my XO parts from Parts Express. I use the Solen Metalized Polypropolene caps, Perfect Lay air core inductors 14 or 16 awg, and Dayton non-inductive resistors. If you want to spend more for the very best you can but for most applications these work fine.
Old 30th March 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
DaHos is offline DaHos  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.meniscusaudio.com/

I was looking for the same but also wanted someone close to do buisness with, Grand Rapids aint to far and they guys there are great to deal with.......
Old 30th March 2004, 10:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There's also Madisound.
Old 30th March 2004, 11:19 PM   #5
DaHos is offline DaHos  United States
diyAudio Member

Yup madsound too.

If it wernt for that little pond between us them it would be a nice drive also......

With everyone using mail order co. now days its nice to find a local dealer/shop that you can work with.

Some times it may cost a bit more but I find it worth it.

(although my 2.5's were no more to build than quotes from others)

Its great to be a consumer with all these choices

Old 31st March 2004, 02:09 AM   #6
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I've always been so happy with

I've been happy with Madisound.

they've seemed knowledgeable, helpful and easy to work with.

Regards

Ken L
Old 31st March 2004, 03:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With everyone using mail order co. now days its nice to find a local dealer/shop that you can work with.
I've not had any luck in this area other than Chris at Adire when I'm in desperate need which is a real credit to Adire Audio because that's not part of their regular services. One place on the Ave had parts but they weren't what I would call quality audio parts.
Old 31st March 2004, 11:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am surprised that there isn't an online electronics superstore where you could purchase this stuff at a discounted price. I checked into a couple, but am unsure if the capacitors and inductors they sell are recommended for use in audio applications.

I had a bit of sticker shock when I found out I could spend more on the crossovers than the speakers themselves!
Old 31st March 2004, 01:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by squidbait
I am surprised that there isn't an online electronics superstore where you could purchase this stuff at a discounted price. I checked into a couple, but am unsure if the capacitors and inductors they sell are recommended for use in audio applications.
You could also check out
www.northcreekmusic.com

The northcreek's components are recommended by Lynn Olson for building the Ariel speakers. I have also bought some Inductors and Resistors for xo. They have an excellent service, but their prices are not cheap though.... But I think it worth. The inductors they made are really big (i bought 12 awg, 1 mH) and

Never tried their caps, but I read in this forum that Nelson Pass of PassLabs also uses their Zen caps.

Quote:

I had a bit of sticker shock when I found out I could spend more on the crossovers than the speakers themselves!
I was also surprised when I found out that I spent more money on xo than on the drivers.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!