Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Live vs. Recorded - can you hear a difference?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2017, 10:23 PM   #161
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Mid/Side?
Yes.
Old 9th October 2017, 03:14 PM   #162
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Saying stuff like that can also be a good way to get a certain reaction from the performers - not saying in this case but a s a general performance management trick.

Heard from a producer that Mick Hucknall (simply red) went in to record a direct to tape album but he and all the engineers knew he wasn't good enough so they rented next door and ran everything to multitrack so they could mix it later, his different takes.. whist keeping the pretence of the direct to tape set up in the main studio I'm sure he felt great that it was direct to tape and he was in control hehehe..
Old 9th October 2017, 05:45 PM   #163
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes I know, but on this occasion there was only that one (pair) of mics on one mic stand. They might have been dishonest about the rest, but they did not have a lot of possibilities.
Old 18th October 2017, 06:43 PM   #164
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

YouTube
Old 19th October 2017, 04:49 PM   #165
Jack Arnott is offline Jack Arnott  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
The brain is great at filtering this out.
The crux here is live vs. recorded. The brain has a way of filtering a lot of stuff, but once it is recorded, there is a huge difference. Everything that got filtered, now stands out in sharp contrast.

It is like a wonderful sunset, viewed in your neighborhood. Once you take a picture of it, all the distractions that were once filtered are now prominent. Power lines EG. That is why photography is so hard.

That is why recording something live is so hard.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:38 AM   #166
soongsc is online now soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Mic phase response is not linear, neither are the playback speakers. So when you add these up, the this phase shift over the audio band messes up the spacial queues in a recording.
Old 7th November 2017, 05:24 PM   #167
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

OI! Keyser. What happened? I know you're there
Old 10th November 2017, 04:33 PM   #168
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Vocals coming from 2 speakers is a very unnatural event. Having a crossover in the vocal range doesn't do good either for the realism.
I'm looking into a LCR setup to get the vocals 'perfect' and hope to do some experiments in a live setting soon. So far my musician friend look at me as if they see water burning...... But the idea is the same as having a center speaker in a surround setup and also resemble the wall of sound idea.

More on LCR: Mixing for Three-Channel Reinforcement
and LCR Sound System - A Perfect Solution - dBB Audio

Last week I found this quite impressive comparison:
Hi-End System vs percussion band
Old 13th November 2017, 02:28 AM   #169
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting reading. I was experimenting with LCR live sound systems in the early 90s. I liked the concept, but ended up using the center cluster for voice only. By having a center cluster dedicated to vocals only, it became much easier to control and mix them on large scale shows. It also helped pin them to the center, where the vocals usually are.

I'm surprised this isn't used more often in concerts, as it works terrifically well.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:05 PM   #170
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

"where the vocals usually are" is the compromise of that idea I'd guess.

We only have two ears to hear vocals so doesn't it come back down to directivity and nearfield speaker placement to prevent reflections of the listening location etc? The conclusion to that being in-ear headphones?

Last edited by NATDBERG; 14th November 2017 at 12:08 PM.

Live vs. Recorded - can you hear a difference?Hide this!Advertise here!