8 in woofer - SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 or Seas CA22RNY 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which one would be "better" overall? I know it's hard to tell but what would be your preference?
The SB seems to have better low end extension but the SEAS has better high frequency roll off. The SEAS has better QTS which may or may not be an advantage and it depends on the box size. The SB has the reed paper coating which probably has slightly better detail, but as the results probably is a little ragged on the high frequency response. I plan to either use one of these in a three way speakers. I'll be using 1st order xover so the high freq. of the SEAS may be good but the SB is not that bad either.

Attachments

• sb_8.png
    sb_8.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 979
  • seas.png
    seas.png
    251.7 KB · Views: 978
You simply wouldn't use a first order filter with a well-behaved bass in a 3 way.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

I don't suppose the CA22RNX and CA22RNY would be much different in practise. And the SB would be fine on a second order crossed around 500Hz too.

In a two way, you could use a simple coil with the SEAS units for a natural 3kHz rolloff. But in practise, I'd always add a bit of impedance correction (say, 8.2R and 4.7uF) to the shunt. Sounds better IMO. As does a third order tweeter.

517567d1449134051-orangutan-lookalike-seas-njord-jpg

517568d1449134051-orangutan-lookalike-seas-njord-filter-png

I think Troels used the CA22RNY in his second version of the 3-way classic. More of a low Qts bassy, big magnet reflex driver than the CA22RNX, and better behaved at the 3kHz breakup point. Which is the nasty bit you have to deal with for a clean sound.

There is a school of thought that high Qms (low mechanical loss) is a good thing with drivers. The 8'' SB23NRXS45-8 :: SB Acoustics does much better on that.

Back in the day, simple bass filters were common. But we now have a theory of integrating a three way that works like a charm thanks to Steen Duelund. Phase just works. It's mathematical.

Bit of a master class from Troels here in updating an old SEAS 503 design for lower distortion. SEAS Kit 503. See the original simple bass filter let too much breakup through.

IMO, his 3 way classic design is extremely adaptable to almost any drivers. Perhaps the weak link is the 4" mid when you go loud. Wharfedale doubled them in the E70, wired in series to improve the dynamics. Genius IMO.

Attachments

• Aequal4_Steen_Duelund_filter.JPG
    Aequal4_Steen_Duelund_filter.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,202
  • SEAS Classic Kit 503 Troels Gravesen.PNG
    SEAS Classic Kit 503 Troels Gravesen.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 3 way classic by Troels Gravesen.PNG
    3 way classic by Troels Gravesen.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 815
  • Wharrfedale E70.JPG
    Wharrfedale E70.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,014
It seems like the SB has the better low end performance while the SEAS has a better high frequency roll off. I will use 1st order xover so the SEAS probably is a better candidate. I already have the SEAS 8in RNX at home, but it could use a little bit more low end extension. That is why I plan to purchase the RNY which not only has as good or better hf roll off but better low end extension and more efficient too.
Maybe the SB can be use with low order xover with a notch filter to tame the break up.

I already have the SEAS 8in RNX at home, but it could use a little bit more low end extension. That is why I plan to purchase the RNY which not only has as good or better hf roll off but better low end extension and more efficient too.

I don't think this is correct. While the RNY is smoother and more efficient I don't think it offers more extension than the RNX.

You simply wouldn't use a first order filter with a well-behaved bass in a 3 way.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

I don't suppose the CA22RNX and CA22RNY would be much different in practise. And the SB would be fine on a second order crossed around 500Hz too.

In a two way, you could use a simple coil with the SEAS units for a natural 3kHz rolloff. But in practise, I'd always add a bit of impedance correction (say, 8.2R and 4.7uF) to the shunt. Sounds better IMO. As does a third order tweeter.

517567d1449134051-orangutan-lookalike-seas-njord-jpg

517568d1449134051-orangutan-lookalike-seas-njord-filter-png

The 25mm tweeter does not appear on the Seas site, guess this 27mm is the replacement?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.