Like I need more speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need more speakers like I need a hole in the head, but I could not resist picking up a pair of vintage Celestion SL6s' for $7 at a local charity shop.
The SL6s' surrounds are very stiff, different to what is the norm for a small sealed box? I have a pair of Goodmans Maxim speakers in my collection and the surrounds are like jello.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Those surrounds may well have stiffened and require treatment. Contrary to sales pitches, rubber is hardly forever. But if not used for lower bass, the T/S parameter shifts are complementary to a point, and the alignments are similar. But also note how stiff sub suspensions can be, and some are low qt for ported boxes. So, play 'em and see.

Smuck, I recall Celestion using a honeycomb aircraft aluminium for the box panels to increase stiffness and decrease weight.

I have also heard, but I never confirmed that brake fluid can soften rubber, but don't take my word for it, maybe consult google.

Smuck, I recall Celestion using a honeycomb aircraft aluminium for the box panels to increase stiffness and decrease weight.

I have also heard, but I never confirmed that brake fluid can soften rubber, but don't take my word for it, maybe consult google.

That would be the SL600 - the deluxe version of the SL6. The material was called "Aerolam". Pretty expensive, in its day, but the speaker was very highly regarded.

I have a recollection of a matching subwoofer, which was pretty avant-garde. It was some sort of clamshell design, and probably a dipole. I just wonder how many were sold? The SL600 itself doesn't seem to appear very often nowadays, and the subwoofer must be rarer than rocking-horse droppings!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well then they are fine. If you'd like to simply protect them from ozone/UV caused advancing vulcanisation, some tire shine/protectant will be fine and is readily available.A local car detailer I know says that the ArmorAll brand actually needs to be diluted so it's not attracting dust. 1:2. One third strength.

Well then they are fine. If you'd like to simply protect them from ozone/UV caused advancing vulcanisation, some tire shine/protectant will be fine and is readily available.A local car detailer I know says that the ArmorAll brand actually needs to be diluted so it's not attracting dust. 1:2. One third strength.
Thanks for the tip.
I'm really liking these $7 speakers, Stravinsky's Rites of Spring came across with plenty of crash bang wallop and Cat Stevens sounded great.
My wife has been on at me for years to get rid of my "ugly" corner Tannoys, perhaps it is time. What with all the home entertainment options, I do not spend that much time seriously listening to music anymore.
An image of the Tannoys could be made available at Weldon's request.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.