Enclosure stuffing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2004, 10:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure stuffing

What materials are suitable for stuffing a subwoofer enclosure? I ideally need something which is readily available in high street shops in the UK - not Acousta-stuf or its ilk.
Parts Express mentions fiberglass (is this used as loft insulation?) as an alternative on its Acousta-stuf page. Is cotton wool suitable? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Banned

I can´t see a disadvantage of cotton wool, but i would never use fiberglass. Glass fibers moved by a woofer for faster flying into my lungs to cause some cancer is not really what i need.

My first choice is wool http://www.doscha.nl/
Old 29th March 2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Dont use fibreglass(rockwool) its a mess, and it keeps on being a mess, use the padding you can buy in textile shops, fluff it up a bit and fill approx 1/4 to 1/3 of the enclosure.

I have made a few experiments with the "audio" filling (got some from the dynaudio factory when i was working for them), it makes no difference what so ever. If any difference is detected, i can guarantee you its psyco acoustics doing their thing. (besides the dinner you can take your wife out for, for the money you saved that is)

Magura
Old 29th March 2004, 11:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys! Also, how do you recommend affixing the stuffing to the inside of the enclosure? Simple glue? Nails/tacks/staples? The enclosure is sealed if that makes a difference.
Old 29th March 2004, 11:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You dont fix stuffing, you just fluff it up till its laying still in one position and isnt in the way of ports and so forth.

Magura
Old 29th March 2004, 11:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Really? I'd have thought that the vibrations and air movement would eventually make all the stuffing sink to the bottom - in the case of a downfiring driver, surely this would be a bad thing. My sub isn't downfiring, but still... you sure I shouldn't fix it somehow?
Old 30th March 2004, 03:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Sealed or ported??

Is this a sealed or ported sub? Ported subs have no real need of stuffing at all & it can in fact be a serious detriment to the performance if over done or if blocking ports. At most for a ported sub you would just staple a piece to the back wall (opposite the driver) & one side or top wall keeping far clear of any port. If the sub crossover is low enough & steep enough even that is a waste of good stuffing material.

If it's a sealed sub it depends on your goal. If you just want to damp any higher freq reflections that survive the crossover then you can just staple some pallets to the walls are fold some around in there against the walls & it should stay pretty much in place supporting itself. If your goal is to significantly increase the effective volume of the box you need to pack it full till it's all snug & supporting itself.
Old 30th March 2004, 07:56 AM   #8
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
For sealed I'd used polyester fiber or cotton wool (not fiberglass or mineral wool, those really stink because they leave a nasty dust away. It itches like hell, and it's supposed to be cancerigen).

Line up the enclosure walls with some thin cotton batting (stapled) to control the midrange reflections in the box and back out through the cone (don't bother if this is a (sub)woofer eg <240Hz or so).

Then fill the enclosure LOOSELY with poly or wool. Loosely means that you can pass your hand through it easily. No need to fix it.

Too much stuffing would get you a 'too damped' sound and you don't want that. (that's what happened to me last week )

If you use T-Nuts to mount the woofer or the screws permit doing so by not damaging the mdf/wood when you mess with them you might take the woofer out for a couple of times and try to 'tune' the sound by taking out/putting in stuffing. You'd be surprised how much difference less/more stuffing does in a sealed box.
Old 31st March 2004, 12:56 AM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

There is no evidence I know of that Fiberglass causes cancer and anyone who says it does is a fear-monger. It causes local discomfort to the skin, and I would certainly not suggest you should breathe it or put it in a situation where friable fiberglass can be expelled from the enclosure by air currents, but it is still the best acoustic wool product made, more effective than pillow stuffing and cheaper. Miraflex is one brand of "itchless" fiberglass.

Asbestos fibers cause cancer, due to their size and shape they are easily aspirated and are not broken down or expelled from the body. Asbestos-exposed people are at risk for a rare, serious cancer called mesothelioma.
Old 31st March 2004, 01:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dynaudio is stuffing all their boxes with polyester...most of their boxes are vented!!

Magura

Edit:

And they leave the stuffing loose inside the box, no fixing what so ever.

Hide this!Advertise here!