Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Helper Woofer(s) for "punchy" FAST/WWW/SAW/etc. to go w/ Fane 12" full range drivers
Helper Woofer(s) for "punchy" FAST/WWW/SAW/etc. to go w/ Fane 12" full range drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2017, 07:21 PM   #21
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice point fred.
Old 7th September 2017, 07:24 PM   #22
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcrx007 View Post
I'm sure it would be a killer combo... but yes, that's on a whole 'nother playing field both in price and performance for what I'm trying to achieve here
Right now, its looking like the total system will be:
1x per side Fane 12-250tc full range in a _____ box, powered by main l/r receiver channels, 80w
2x per side Pyle PPA15 15" woofers in a sealed box, powered by 2nd main l/r receiver channels, 85w
+ (for HT only, not music)
1x mono horn loaded 15" subwoofer (a la lilmike F20 or lilwrecker), powered by an iNuke1000dsp
CX2310 or similar for electronic crossover duties

Unfortunately this is more of a case of what's best we can do with the allotted budget, more or less... Hence those ugly Pyles of woofer I mentioned.
This makes sense and I will agree with. OB is off the table at this point, looks like sealed is the way to go.
Any other woofers stand out of the crowd for a sealed application that are also inexpensive?
I'd like to try simming a few more - both dual 15"s per side, and single 18"s per side. I mentioned 4x 12" woofers to my wife but that was not well received... ha!
Budget-wise, maybe you should consider quad-10FE200 per side ?
Old 8th September 2017, 03:08 AM   #23
sbcrx007 is offline sbcrx007  United States
diyAudio Member

For double the total price, would the 4x 10" faitals outgun 2x 15" pyles? I'll try a sim but the faitals didn't look like they'd go low enough in a sealed box, pretty high roll off...

Like i said before, wife approval on 4x 10"s per side is not going to be good... single 18, yes. Dual 15s, yeah probably. More ridiculous than that... there will be complaining.

Last edited by sbcrx007; 8th September 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 8th September 2017, 06:29 AM   #24
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Peavey's Sheffield 1500 + is interesting for some potential applications

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf
Old 8th September 2017, 03:00 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I was looking at the Peavey Sheffield 15" the other night as another budget option (don't remember seeing it on PE a few weeks ago), but it doesn't really go low enough sealed - the f3 is 75 hz.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

true - in open baffle/U/H - baffle application, it would have useful response down to resonance. A kludge for K-coupler at 4.3 and 7.4 cubic feet bulk https://i.imgur.com/GIfL2qw.gif
Old 9th September 2017, 03:57 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Well, to recap things -
-sealed enclosure preferred
-2x 15"s vs 1x 18" per channel?
-budget drivers that work well sealed and will get down to about 40 hz?
-- this seems to require a low Fs, which brings efficiency down, which is a big point for dual 15s in that they still go plenty loud with 2 combined (even though low sensitivity)
-punchy & musical, not boomy
Old 9th September 2017, 08:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

if you can get a good looking response in a sealed box with PPA15, try (for one woofer) a series cap of ~450uF or so and see if you can improve things.
Old 9th September 2017, 05:48 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

something like this - the speaker works a bit harder where there's "boost" but less so below cutoff

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 9th September 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 9th September 2017, 09:33 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Freddi, Ok this must be in hornresp, I can't seem to manage to do the same in winISD. Either way though, this is just a means to prop up the low end of the curve? I thought we were trying to avoid passive components out at the speakers now that you guys convinced me to go electronic line level xo...
I'm not sure the PPA15s really need the help.. they seem to go pretty low on their own, F3 is like 39 hz, F10 is like 27 hz - in a sealed 4 ft3 box (or dual in an 8 ft3)

Helper Woofer(s) for "punchy" FAST/WWW/SAW/etc. to go w/ Fane 12" full range driversHide this!Advertise here!