Visaton tweeters - comparisons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you do it, you`d need to rework your crossover (I saw you liked Shaun`s idea so decided to put my 2c). You`ll only gain from this operation.

I'm pretty much final on my design now. It's the 4th iteration, and it's pretty spectacular. It's my 3rd crossover I implemented. :) I have attached what it started as, and then what it ended as. I went with MTM, and it's excellent.

First image is how it started, second is how it ended.

Attachments

• First.png
    First.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Second.png
    Second.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 245
If you do it, you`d need to rework your crossover (I saw you liked Shaun`s idea so decided to put my 2c). You`ll only gain from this operation.

Yes. The waveguide increases the efficiency of the tweeter at the low end, so for the equivalent response you would be injecting less power in that region. So: lower operating power and lower distortion (due to lower excursion), comparatively.

Mrcloc, are you able to do acoustic measurements? I am missing this component from your project info. If not, there are a few guys out your way who may be able to help.

Interesting about the waveguide and lower power for the lower frequencies - it makes perfect sense. I've never really wanted a waveguide though. It's an area I haven't included in this project.

I haven't done proper measurements yet. I have asked a few questions here and there, done some research and reading, and will add that to my current knowledge so that I can do the proper measurements.

On listening tests, there is no combing, and no drop in any frequency that I can notice, notably around the crossover point. I can't detect the change over from mid-basses to tweeter. This is sweeping from 25 Hz to about 3 kHz at 1 Hz intervals, and then 1/10 octave intervals from there to about 18 kHz.

Listening tests can only reveal obvious problem areas (if any exist), but I won't notice a dB difference between, say, 100 Hz and 500 Hz, so the proper measurements will be done at some point in the future.

In non-technical speak, I have auditioned very many speakers. Probably about 100 different models, from bookshelfs to floor standers, Boston Acoustics, Klipsche, Celestion, Kef, PSB, Infinity, B&W, Polk Audio, Monitor Audio, Magnat, JVC, JBL, Q Acoustics, Bang & Olufsen. I like the B&W 802D3 the most so far. In the more affordable range, I liked Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - and this was in a narrowed-down shootout between B&W CM10, B&W 683 S2, and the MA Bronze 6. I found that the MA had the best bass definition. My goal was to get something in the region of B&W 683, and what I have ended up with, to me, sounds better than the MA Bronze 6, and the CM10's (I didn't quite like the 683's as much as I thought I would).

Right. It seems the SC 10 N gets hot, and then distorts a little. But only the one. And not always. I'm going to replace my tweeters soon and I ideally want a drop-in replacement. The tweeter I like is a Peerless D27TG35-06. I managed to find some data files to plug them into my simulator. Frequency response and phase response look good. I can improve phase response by letting the tweeter stick out a bit, which I think I'll do. I can modify the crossover slightly to get a much better frequency response above 6 kHz, but it sacrifices impedance a little too much. Having a few -2 dB spots and a generally -1 dB FR for the tweeter is worth the nicer impedance.

I chose D27TG35-06 because the inductance is similar to the SC 10 N, it fits into the hole perfectly (104 mm diameter), it has a power rating of 100 W, and it's inside my budget.

I have attached with SC 10 N, then the new one in with no modifications, vs a slight mod to the crossover.

Note, it's not G 25 FFL, that was just in there and I didn't rename it when I loaded all the D27's data.

Attachments

• Original.png
    Original.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Plug-in no mod.png
    Plug-in no mod.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Plug-in with mod.png
    Plug-in with mod.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Original phase.png
    Original phase.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Plug-in phase.png
    Plug-in phase.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 43
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.