Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Need recommendations on good but cheap bookshelf speakers I can modify to improve
Need recommendations on good but cheap bookshelf speakers I can modify to improve
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2017, 06:52 PM   #1
DangerBoy is offline DangerBoy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Need recommendations on good but cheap bookshelf speakers I can modify to improve

Hello,

I just joined and this is my first post.

I am helping my friends' 12 year old girl who is really into retro music and audio put together her first sound system on a shoestring budget. I found her a good working Technics SL-Q200 turntable with the stock Technics cartridge for a good price. I put that together with a pre HDMI era Yamaha AV receiver and a pair of old 2 way speakers that I had kicking around and now we're all set to surprise her with her first sound system when she gets back on Monday from her summer holidays. She's been buying up old Queen and other classic rock LPs and has been jones'n to play them. She's going to be so surprised and happy...

I'd like to eventually upgrade the speakers in this system as I think the ones I gave her are the weakest link in the system. What I'd like to do is find a pair of cheap underrated bookshelf speakers that I can make some simple mods to (like re-capping and/or replacing crossovers or tweeters) to make a lot better.

Perusing the local classifieds, I have found the following speakers that are in my budget range which is less than $100 CAD (~$75 USD) excluding the cost of the modifications. The asking price of these listed below are $80 CAD (~$60 USD) or less.

Polk R20
Dalquist PDQ-607
ProLinear PL3.5B
Sony SS-CCP1
Yamaha NX-E300
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Bookshelf

Do any of these have particularly good potential with modification? What mods are required to make them better?

If none of the above have very good potential, is there another brand/model that I should look for and what mods would I need to make to them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 27th August 2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What are the speakers you already have?
Could you not spend your budget on upgrading them instead?
Old 27th August 2017, 09:39 PM   #3
DangerBoy is offline DangerBoy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konzentr8 View Post
What are the speakers you already have?
Could you not spend your budget on upgrading them instead?
They're just a pair of two-ways from an old CD Stacking JVC Ghetto blaster I had. They don't sound horrible but they're not that good either. Not worth modifying I don't think.

I think she would really think it's cool to have a pair of upgraded/modified vintage speakers if I could find some with good potential and make them noticeably better. But failing the vintage part, I think she'd still think it's cool to have a pair of more modern second hand speakers that we've made better and given a new life with a few mods.
Old 27th August 2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Shame you're not a bit nearer i've got a nice pair of vintage Kenwood 3 ways i'd have donated to a good cause , as for suggestions it's difficult to recommended anything in particular as almost anything has potential for improvement .
The older Yamaha amps had a nice warm sound and i had good results using the few i've owned with Wharfedale speakers , E 30's had excellent synergy with an old AV receiver i used to have .
Problem is anything ' vintage ' or ' retro ' seems to command ridiculous prices now , especially on ebay etc. , if you are planning on improving whatever you get i would be inclined to look at obtaining something with nice cabinets and reasonable drivers to start with then after a listen decide what needs replacing or needs to be modified.

Last edited by Konzentr8; 27th August 2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:45 PM   #5
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As those are all cheap speakers it is likely that improvements could be made with upgraded XO parts (or even just newer, caps keep improving), better bracing (i’d guess most are in cheap MDF boxes), better damping, more optimal tuning (i have found few cheap BR that don’t benefit from being pushed towars aperiodic), and reduced diffraction signarure.

dave
Old 28th August 2017, 04:53 AM   #6
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Wharferdale diamonds respond incredibly well to cap upgrades. Cheap.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

KEF Uni-Fi U5 about 500/pair. Just make a bigger bass box, put coaxial unit with it's xo and use minidsp 2x4hd to finalize. Naturally a class-d amp for basses. If you use this as a part of HT, all other speakers can be standard Uni-Fi. ELAC UB5 Uni-fi Series Speakers

Sorry, price limit punctured

Last edited by Juhazi; 28th August 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:18 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Juhazi, sort of busts up the $100 CAD budget

dave
Old 28th August 2017, 08:38 AM   #9
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Recapping will not make a huge impact, it will or can improve the more delicate sonic characteristics. What can make a big improvement is bracing the cabinet. Many cheap speakers have very thin cabinets with no bracing at all.

Vintage loudspeakers could be Dynaco A10 or Snell KII. Modding these could be refoaming.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:40 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dynaco A10 doesn’t have foam surrounds. Replacing aged elco caps that have shifted valie or dried up with even cheap poly caps can have a profound difference.

I will 2nd the notion of adding bracing.

dave

Need recommendations on good but cheap bookshelf speakers I can modify to improveHide this!Advertise here!