What are some good example of baffle design to improve diffraction

Yea, I would say that's true or maybe not mixed, perhaps sub-optimal. I try and completely absorb the rear wall reflections (behind the speakers). This seems to improve the imaging quite a bit. Rear wall reflections, coming from an axis close to that of the sound source, will be quite significant psychoacoustically. Best not to have them.

"Diffraction, which occurs at every sharp cabinet boundary, creates delayed, reverse-phase phantom sources that interfere with the direct sound from the actual driver. These secondary phantom images create significant ripples in the midrange response (up to 6 dB) and create delayed sounds which disrupt the timing cues necessary to perceive stereo images. These dispersion problems are audible as room-dependent colorations, coarse midrange, diffuse stereo, and a "detenting" effect that pulls images in towards the loudspeaker cabinets."

The Art of Speaker Design

Spica

1074464-spica-tc50i-speakers.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1010.jpg
    DSCF1010.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 460AA702-B170-4206-8983-1C62DF9BE09F.jpg
    460AA702-B170-4206-8983-1C62DF9BE09F.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 335
I'd think the concept is likely sound, but the density and ability to transmit sound aren't the same in the felt I had as were needed to absorb sound waves all that much (which would be a narrow target to hit in the material science, I imagine). I was surprised, expected it to help a lot, but it really didin't. I suspect something fibrous but less densely packed would be in the right direction.

Can anyone refer me to scientific studies on the audibility of diffraction?

As far as audibility goes the only study that I know of was Lidia and mine. It was an AES preprint (may be on my website, I don't remember.) It was never presented nor published as a paper because at the same time as the convention, Lidia's mother died and that messed things up a lot.

The simulations were "diffraction like" but more akin to the diffraction effects that one gets in a waveguide, which was my main interest of course. But to me diffraction is going to have the same effect regardless of its cause.

The results have been described here many times so I won't bore people with those again.

Yea, I would say that's true or maybe not mixed, perhaps sub-optimal. I try and completely absorb the rear wall reflections (behind the speakers). This seems to improve the imaging quite a bit. Rear wall reflections, coming from an axis close to that of the sound source, will be quite significant psychoacoustically. Best not to have them.

Which I guess brings you to Joachim Gerhard's study on speaker placement to lessen the more psychoacoustically significant reflections for better soundstage.

Joachim Gerhard speaker placement! WOW and I need more info